Modding mini fridge for storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xenomaniac

Reaction score
I managed to get a hold of a mini fridge that is perfect for fermentation. Got it for a reasonable price as well. Problem? The dimensions are off by inches. The dimensions I need to fit are for this 9 gallon Tuff-Tank Vessel:

TT090LG_1.JPG

Dimensions 14inw x 14ind x 12inh

The vessel will fit in the fridge but I need to take off the shelves built into the door and I need to shave off the rack holders to not make the fit not so tight. This is what the fridge looks like:

3k53pd3h75n45i25jed29af.jpg

Another idea would be to turn this 7 gallon Aqua tank into a fermentation bucket.

p8197260.jpg

11.25 x 11 x 15.25 in
Any suggestions on what I should do? I've been trying to figure out what to do but I'm exhausted right now.

The entire door shelving can be removed. Fold back the door gasket and unscrew the screws that hold the door shelves and gasket assembly on. Remove the entire molded door shelves and door gasket assembly. You will see the door gasket wraps over and around the outer edge of the shelving such that the gasket is sandwiched between the molded door shelves and the door when assembled. Remove the door gasket, making sure to mark the top of the gasket. The gasket should look like a picture frame now. The gasket will leak if re-installed up-side-down. Ask me how I know.

With a utility knife, cut out the molded door shelves just a little inside of where the screws go through the shelf molding material. Once the shelves are cut out you will be left with the outer edge of the shelving material with the screw holes in it that also looks like a picture frame. Make sure you mark right side up. The door has a cardboard filler with insulation behind it. This can be covered with stick on vinyl shelf paper for appearance.

Carefully re-install the gasket over the outer edge of the molded frame, insuring the gasket fits snugly over and behind the frame. Carefully re-attach the gasket / shelf frame assembly, making sure not to screw any one screw down tight until all screws and loosely installed. This allows you to adjust the gasket for a snug fit. Tighten but do not over tighten the screws.

This will totally remove the door shelves and may give you the necessary space you need. I do not have the exact mini fridge you do but both the mini fridges I set up for fermentation chambers were built the same way.

Hope this helps.

Why are you using those buckets to ferment in? Most guys use True Blue 7 gal plastic buckets or carboys. These will fit the fridge without having to mess with the shelf brackets. I use the fermentation with an SCT-1000 temperature controller to both heat and cool the fridge so it maintains 68 F. After fermenting and bottling, the one shelf goes back in the fridge to bottle condition the beer for 28 days at 68 F.

I purchased the blue container today and stuck it in the fridge to see if it will fit. LIKE A GLOVE!!!! Don't need to mod anything except the container which will be so easy to do. Can't wait to start making brews over the summer!!!

Back