Wax dipping vs shrink wrap?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluespark

Reaction score
I have quite a few mead projects coming up that will be ready to bottle in the next few months. 6 gallons are very high Abv, the rest is around 14%. I want to age some of it for several years. I will be using good quality corks, but I have a few questions.

Is wax dipping a good idea to preserve wine longer? I assume the seal is better than the shrink wrap option?

Can I use beeswax? It would seem fitting with a mead.

I understand that bottles corked need to be stored on their sides. If they are wax dipped the cork cannot dry out. Does this mean I can store upright?

When I searched for the same thing, there were people split between sealing halting any aging, and those saying it helped.

I would imagine it adds more protection. And doesn't lack anything, because aging in a carboy with airlock doesn't exactly allow the transfer of air. I doubt a cork transfers much if any.

Yes wax seal would be better, imo. Shrink wrap i'm sure can be airtight but it'd also be more prone to easier puncture. Just make sure you get a good coat of wax and that it doesn't crack while cooling.

I was going to use beeswax on mine, but wound up not sealing any. But I see no advantage to paying for a synthetic wax when I can get beeswax from my hives. I doubt theres much if any difference in the seal they produce.

Storage. I'd imagine sealed you could store upright, but if the cork does dry out then all you are relying on is a beeswax seal. But maybe somebody has tested it both ways.

At one point does it become worthwhile to seal with wax? aging for one year or more?

At one point does it become worthwhile to seal with wax? aging for one year or more?

20-30 years.
Wax is for looks in most cases. What wax will do is protect a cork top from dust and other contaminant and outside humidity, but so will a capsule.
#9 non-amalgamated corks and proper storage will do far more for aging than wax.

a non-o2 absorbing crown cap will get you at least 4 years.

20-30 years.
Wax is for looks in most cases. What wax will do is protect a cork top from dust and other contaminant and outside humidity, but so will a capsule.
#9 non-amalgamated corks and proper storage will do far more for aging than wax.

a non-o2 absorbing crown cap will get you at least 4 years.

I agree, that wax is for looks (and so are those shrink wraps).

What I do is store the wine/mead in the cellar on its side, and then only add the wax or the shrink wrap when I gift it to someone. It dresses it up nicely!

Back