Carbonation in FG reading?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewByBerg

Reaction score
After 9 days of fermentation with WLP007 English dry yeast for my ipa... According to beer smith my OG should have been 1.068 for an ipa but when I took OG reading before fermentation it was 1.064. And beer smith also said the FG should be 1.014.

When I poured the sample into the test tube the FG was 1.014 and I noticed carbonation bubbles running through the sample, is this normal? I'm guessing I should leave it in for a few more days then transfer to secondary for dry hop. Thanks for the help

Unless it has been a long time, there will always be some bubbles in your sample tube. Let it rest, or tap on the side to dislodge the bubbles. If you don't get the bubbles out, your hydrometer will read too high.

MindenMan said:
Unless it has been a long time, there will always be some bubbles in your sample tube. Let it rest, or tap on the side to dislodge the bubbles. If you don't get the bubbles out, your hydrometer will read too high.

I spun it around to try and get the bubbles out. But if it read "too high" then my gravity wouldn't be at the FG beer smith had said correct? Since my OG was 4 points less than intended, does that mean my FG will be lower than beer smith said? So would it be 1.010 instead of 1.014?

Brewing software should be treated as a guide. There are to many variables in brewing for software to give an exact outcome.

Back