No Foam?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prey

Reaction score
I've had a 4 gallon batch of apple juice running for about 3 days now but I don't see any foaming at all, what did I do wrong?

prey said:
I've had a 4 gallon batch of apple juice running for about 3 days now but I don't see any foaming at all, what did I do wrong?

I only tried to make hard cider once, and it never really got any foam on the top while fermenting. My merlot had a little foam.

I think it's the proteins in beer that cause the massive krausen, and you don't really get that with when fermenting fruit juices.

Is your airlock bubbling away happily, or do you have absolutely no activity?

-walker

I've never seen krausen on hard cider. Apple juice is all sugar, no proteins to form a head.

Funny...I was getting worried because my cyser and my maple wine had almost no foam. I thought that my yeast had died. Then I read that champagne yeast doesn't foam much to begin with.

Yesterday I checked on it and carb-locks were both bubbling like bongs. The maple wine is in glass so I was able to see the fermentation taking place but there was very minimal foam.

As long as there's bubbles in the carb-bong, I'm satisfied.

Huh- it seems like every time I do a batch of cider I get a bit of foam...
Um...
Excuse me a mo', I gotta check on something ::runs like a mofo::

I have only made cider once, but I had a TON of foam, more than any brew I've ever made. Took two weeks for the foam to disperse.

I have made 2 batches of cider so far, present one is still fermenting and has an inch or two of foam. It is going away now after a week but still some there. I added extra sugar and dark brown sugar as well. Last batch was not sweet enough. I used potassium sorbate and sugar to the last batch after it was bottled to sweeten it. It was a still cider.

Makes sense that there's no foam. Think about it: champagne doesn't get a head on it. It must be the proteins in the grain thing.

Back