How many rhizomes do you require?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mew

Reaction score
If I averaged 2 5-gallon brewdays per month and those brews used an average of 3 oz of hops, I would need 72 oz of hops per year. Assuming each rhizome produced 1.5 lbs of hops (dried), I'd need only three rhizomes for my hobby. Of course, I'd want more than three varieties.

How many rhizomes do you have, and is it enough to quench your brewing thirst?

I have 27 planted altogether but don't tell her that she'll kill me. I only have 5 second year plants though so I don't know how much i'll get this year.

I planted 9 rhizomes today. 3 Cascade, 3 Centennial, 3 Hallertauer. I'm only expecting 1lb or so per plant after thay've spent a year building roots. But that's because I'm going to train them horizontally. It will still be more than I need, but I like to share.

I have 10 to plant once the frost is done.:mad:

CASCADE - 2
CENTENNIAL - 2
CHINOOK - 1
FUGGLE - 1
MAGNUM - 2
PERLE - 1
WILLAMETTE - 1

You guys are freakin crazy. How do you have that much room to grow hops? I have no idea how much yield I'll get out of my first year rhizomes, but I got 4; 2 Chinook and 2 Centennial. They've been in pots for 6 days, and both Chinooks have sprouted shoots. Still waiting on the Centennial. It's about 50 degrees here during the day, so I'm still waiting a bit to plant them.

I've ordered a dozen, but I have plenty of land to plant as much as I want. If I have excess I can't get rid of, it's next year's till.

I was thinking I'd get 10:

2 Cascade
2 EKG
2 Saaz
1 Sterling
1 Magnum
1 Hallertau
1 Willamette

I don't think I'd have trouble giving the extras away or trading them for other varieties.

I have eight mounds, planted two rhizomes in seven of them and one gift plant. I expect them to cover my requirements for those varieties.

Back