Charlottesville breweries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OrdinaryAvgGuy

Reaction score
I'm hanging out in Charlottesville for a few days and need a suggestion or two.

This area is one of my favorite go to spots when it comes to a weekend getaway.

I think we have exhausted all the wine trails and are ready to move onto something more sophisticated- beer.

Last night we check out Blue Mountain Brewery which had fantastic views of the mountain tops and a fairly good oaked IPA.

Tonight we are looking to stay a little closer to town.

Any suggestions for a place to hangout and enjoy local brews on tap along with live music? It doesn't have to be a brewery but local beer and live music is a must. Thanks!

Starr Hill is right outside C-ville in Crozet, and is worth a visit. Their beers are now available all over the area too. Also check out Devil's Backbone. Their "8-point IPA" is one of my new favorites. Have fun! :mug:

Starr Hill is right outside C-ville in Crozet, and is worth a visit. Their beers are now available all over the area too. Also check out Devil's Backbone. Their "8-point IPA" is one of my new favorites. Have fun! :mug:

Devils backbone sounds like a great place. You are the second person that raved about it.

Wild Wolf is down the road from Blue Mountain, decent beers and a cool little home brew shop (shack) on the premises. Check it out if you have time.

As for hard cider - Albermarle Cider Works and Bold Rock are right around there too.

really like Starr Hill's Northern Lights IPA and their bock, The Gift is tasty, tho I've only had it on tap

need to try some Devil's Backbone. they actually have it (& some Starr Hills) at Walmart here in Sterling

really like Starr Hill's Northern Lights IPA and their bock, The Gift is tasty, tho I've only had it on tap

need to try some Devil's Backbone. they actually have it (& some Starr Hills) at Walmart here in Sterling

I just looked into Starr Hill. Sounds like a fun place with live music etc but is a 30 min drive from where I am staying.

Would like to keep it local tonight so I don't have to drive as far. Staying at the southern tip of the city. Wouldn't mind just going to a local pub in the city with good beer and live music.

South street is a good brewpub, I like their beers. And I love devils backbone vienna lager and 8 point ipa, but I've never been to the brewery.

My wife went to school in Lynchburg, so whenever I was there I loved the Vienna and 8point IPA. Also if you are willing to take a trip to Lynchburg... Check out Jefferson Street Brewery at Waterstone Pizza. I think its about a 45 to an hour drive. I always flew into Charlottesville and drove to Lynchburg.

Okay, back with a report for future c'vill visitors.

As mentioned, I went to Blue Mountain Brewery the other day. Cool atmosphere and great mountain views. They served burgers, sandwiches and pizza. I had a burger last time I was here and pizza this time and both where decent.

Although I wanted to stay close to my home base, I ended up venturing out last night.

First stop was Devils Backbone. Didn't realize this but they also have an outpost location in the boondocks which is where we accidentally ended up. Outpost location was pretty cool. This is where they do most of their brewing and I believe tours are available on Saturday and Sunday. Tried the 8 point IPA as suggested and it was in fact great. There was this brew called Congo that everyone was raving about but I wasn't due out for another week or so.

Drove to Wild wolf and passed by the original Devil's Backbone. Dammit, it was like a couple miles away from wild wolf and looked nice from the outside.

Wild Wolf was also a very nice brewery and had live music outside in a heated shelter.

Beer was good and food was good. Ran into the head brewer who was enjoying his self with some friends at the bar. I tried a couple of their IPAs and their Belgium triple witch were fantastic. Wife was drinking the Blonde Honey which seemed to be the chick (and a table full of frat boys) drink of choice due to its blonde appearance and fruity finish perhaps?

Wanted to check out Star Hill and South Street but by this time I was feeling pretty good and It was time to retire for the night.

These two will be on my list next time I come. Thanks for all the suggestions. All were great! :mug:

Back