First Time Kegging - Does This Sound Right?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LogicBomb

Reaction score
So I have a 4-tap keezer that I just finished and so it's time to prep the kegs.

I have no idea where they have been so I took them apart and am soaking them all and their parts in oxyclean for a few days. So the next step is to rinse thoroughly, re-assemble with new o-rings and keg lube.

For sanitation do I just have to fill with a starsan solution, slosh around, drain, top up with beer and go? Or should I hook up the starsan keg to the co2 system and dispense a few glasses of sanitizer out of my perlick faucets first?

Also - does the starsan foam matter at this stage in the game? I know it's no big deal prior to fermentation but does it impart a flavor at this point after fermentation has completed?

I would recommend running Starsan through your system and out the faucets. This way you are also sanitizing the beer lines. This is what you would do when you clean your lines too...run a line cleaner, run water to rinse the cleaner, then run a sanitizer through.

I usually soak all my keg parts in a cleaner and then soak in sanitizer too then the keg back together too. You did not mention sanitizing those parts (ball locks/pin locks disassembled, o-rings taken off everything, etc). Then should all be sanitized too.

I am also new to kegging, so take with a grain of salt.
I put a little in the keg, slosh around with lid on, and then set it upside down for few minutes to let sanitizer get all over the top parts real good. I then slosh it around again, hook up to my co2 tank and purge a little through my system. I then leave some co2 in the keg until I am ready to fill it. I release pressure and pour out any excess sanitizer and immediately fill it with beer trying to leave the co2 blanket in there as much as possible.

After the beer is carbonated, remember to dump first glass or two to get rid of the sanitizer in your lines. And the foam is no problem at all.

Back