Shane MacGowan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XELA

Reaction score
does anyone else love him more than beer ?

i do

****in ledgend

Are you seriously asking that question here? About this guy?

shanehits5.jpg

It's a tough decision, but I think I vote NO! The Pogues were kinda cool, but their music could cease to exist and I could still live a quite fulfilling life. I can't say the same for beer.

Shane is a lyrical genius. Saw him with the popes and with the pogues. Never thought I'd see a reunited pogues. The Shane MacGowan DVD should've had subtitles though...a man with no teeth and drunk is difficult to comprehend.

yes! MacGowan is a lyrical genius with a great voice! and he does it all smashed out his face! gotta love him

when he lost his frount teeth it didnt make his voice any worse, and i can tell what hes singin..

cant beat him when it comes to music

LONG LIVE SHANE MACGOWAN!!!

oh yea... "the pouges were kinda kool"

WHAT???

Who the hell is this guy? Do they call him Snaggletooth?

He always looks like chit because he is always chitfaced. :tank: I saw Pogues+MacGowan in Worcester a number of years back and I can't think of another performer who performed so drunk. He drank almost an entire fifth on stage, was using the mic stand to hold himself up and it was completely and totally impossible to understand a word he said - not because of his accent, either, because of his blood alcohol level. That being said, it was still a kick aZZ show.

I admit I'm a fan but I thought that this was funny.

Seperated at birth?
Shane
shanehits5.jpg

Sean
sean_penn.jpg

BTW: Pogues are touring again with Shane. A friend saw them in Vegas and was all raves.

Ahmadinejad

ahmadinejad.jpg

Shane's a fantastic lyricist - 'Old Main Drag' and 'The Sick Bed Of Cuchulainn' stick in my head all the time.

He had a great voice too -'Gentlemen Soldier' is a classic folk song from earlier times but all the funnier for his 'punch and judy' style delivery of the main characters!:)
He's not looking good though at the moment......:(

he looks like **** cuz he spent his life drinkin and takin drugs

ill be glad to send anyone some of his music over msn if anyone wants it

He was on The Jonathan Ross show last christmas over here in the UK. Drinking a half glass of neat Vodka while being interviewed. For anyone that doesn't know who he is he wrote 'Fairytale of Newyork' I think everyones heard that,

It's normally played to death at xmas

All his other songs are about drinking and fighting

:rockin:

Hell yeah he rules!...Although I think if you asked him the same question H'ed say that He loves beer (or whiskey) more than himself...

Shane is pure class, an absolute genius lyricist. Writes beautiful, haunting songs. The Pogues put on a class act, despite the fact that Shaneo can barely stand. Some folk get pissed off cos he comes on stage drunk, occasionally vomits on himself or others, blabbers incoherently etc etc. But he never ever forgets a single lyric. And to be fair, the stumbling, bumbling, barfing is part of the act - if you can't accept him for who he is and what he does, then don't go to see him.

"Thousands are sailing","A pair of brown eyes", "Sally Maclenane", "Dirty Old Town", "Rain Street" and of course "Fairytale of New York" are all some of my favourite songs ever.

Don't judge the book by it's cover - listen to it first.

I saw him at the first Guinness Fleadh Festival on Randall's Island in New York. He was so drunk at that show, he couldn't even stand up. He was lying on the stage through most of the show. No one could understand a damn word he was saying, if they were even words. I can't say I really cared for his performance that much; but Black 47 was a completely different story. Now those guys can rock! I'm not even Irish and I loved their stuff.

erbiumyag said:
I saw him at the first Guinness Fleadh Festival on Randall's Island in New York. He was so drunk at that show, he couldn't even stand up. He was lying on the stage through most of the show. No one could understand a damn word he was saying, if they were even words. I can't say I really cared for his performance that much; but Black 47 was a completely different story. Now those guys can rock! I'm not even Irish and I loved their stuff.

Wasn't that a killer day? Plus with Christy Moore on the bill...fantastic! Nothing like heading uptown to catch the bus over though...:fro:

Toilet Rocker said:
Wasn't that a killer day? Plus with Christy Moore on the bill...fantastic! Nothing like heading uptown to catch the bus over though...:fro:

I definitely enjoyed it. That first year I drove to Randalls Island for both days of the festival. That was a bit crazy. My wife (ex-wife now; but still a friend today) absolutely had to see Sinead O'Connor and I think my favorite performance of all was Van Morrison.

erbiumyag said:
I definitely enjoyed it. That first year I drove to Randalls Island for both days of the festival. That was a bit crazy. My wife (ex-wife now; but still a friend today) absolutely had to see Sinead O'Connor and I think my favorite performance of all was Van Morrison.

I knew I had seen Sinead...didn't remember if it was there or at Lolla...

You going to see the Pogues at Roseland this March? Should be another fantastic show.

sorry to bring this thread back from the dead BUT

does anyone like the nipple errectors, or nips?

shanes old punk band from back in the day

i think shane himself said they were ****, i love em anyhow.. jus thought id let you know

im gonna have a massive piss up with all his music after a long time with no alcohol
:D

shane is great..no one could sing like him, nor write a song like him.

umm..
sooooo.. does anyone like the nipple errectors, or nips?

i got about 10 or so tracks cuz my ex bought me a cd from london! :D

Back