Is Oxyclean safe for Stainless Steel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SevenFields

Reaction score
My boiling pot has a nice ring around the inside from just 2 brewing sessions.
Is it safe to soak it in Oxyclean? What do you use to clean your pot?

yes its fine! Oxy Clean is effectively PBW... Welll .... eerrrr... sorta... Let me put it this way... It's the cheaper version of PBW... it will work just fine... But remember this... Oxy clean will leave a slick residue on anything it touches... I would clean with Oxy and then Sanitise with Star-san... or use btk iodophor...

I just scrub the inside of mine with a green scrubby pad (or stainless steel chorboy pad) and water. You won't have any issues soaking it in oxy though, that's how I clean my corny kegs when I first get them, a day or more soak in oxyclean.

Oxy is fantastic on stainless. I think PBW does the job faster, but in my opinion is no where near worth the price. As far as the residue, I soak my stuff in OXY, then wash with an unscented dish soap. I only star-san before I'm about to brew.

yes its fine! Oxy Clean is effectively PBW... Welll .... eerrrr... sorta... Let me put it this way... It's the cheaper version of PBW... it will work just fine...
I'll try to clarify this a bit...Oxiclean is sodium percarbonate. PBW is sodium percarbonate with water softeners added.

Basically if you have softened water Oxiclean will do the same thing for a fraction of the cost. If you have hard water PBW will be far more effective.

I'll try to clarify this a bit...Oxiclean is sodium percarbonate. PBW is sodium percarbonate with water softeners added.

Basically if you have softened water Oxiclean will do the same thing for a fraction of the cost. If you have hard water PBW will be far more effective.

I thought there were other things in PBW other than just water softeners...

They are basically the same thing, but PBW, as Tonedef relates, has additions that can help. For the cost, though, I'm happy to use Oxi, even if my water it not soft. Let it sit overnight and then rinse with hot water.

I thought there were other things in PBW other than just water softeners...
There may be, but I don't think they are very significant since the peroxide is doing 99+% of the cleaning. I have heard you can make your own PBW by mixing 2 parts Oxiclean and 1 part sodium metasilicate.

You shouldn't use OxyClean on Aluminum, correct? It eats away the protective layer or something...?

I don't know that I'd waste Oxi-Clean or PBW on my boil pot. Dishwashing liquid, hot water, and a Scotchbrite sponge once over keeps it clean. It might have a few stains, but that's hardly relevant, given its hot-side application.

My boiling pot has a nice ring around the inside from just 2 brewing sessions.
Is it safe to soak it in Oxyclean? What do you use to clean your pot?

green scrubby and some oxyclean .

yes its fine! Oxy Clean is effectively PBW... Welll .... eerrrr... sorta... Let me put it this way... It's the cheaper version of PBW... it will work just fine... But remember this... Oxy clean will leave a slick residue on anything it touches... I would clean with Oxy and then Sanitise with Star-san... or use btk iodophor...

why would you sanitize a boiling pot?

So I'm digging up a relatively old thread but doing some searching. I soaked my fermentor (sanke keg) with some sun cleaner or whatever it's called which is suppose to be a Walmart knock off of oxiclean. I've used oxiclean in the past with no problems but this time the SS seems to be very rough and what I would call pitted. The dip tube is very rough and has lost quite a bit of luster and shine. Has anyone had this problem with Sun Cleaner..... I thought it was the same as oxiclean????

If your water is hard, oxi (or the wally knockoff) can leave a white film. Just put some star san or other acid based product in there and let it soak for a few minutes.

You could do a mild vinegar wash also, just rinse very well.

I have the same issue when I soak bottles and leave them longer then a day or so.

It shouldn't have damaged the parts if they are SS.

So I'm digging up a relatively old thread but doing some searching. I soaked my fermentor (sanke keg) with some sun cleaner or whatever it's called which is suppose to be a Walmart knock off of oxiclean. I've used oxiclean in the past with no problems but this time the SS seems to be very rough and what I would call pitted. The dip tube is very rough and has lost quite a bit of luster and shine. Has anyone had this problem with Sun Cleaner..... I thought it was the same as oxiclean????

i've not used sun, but have left oxiclean in cornies for several weeks with no apparent ill effects. have soft water, btw.

It's not a film or residue. When I look at the actual spear it no longer has any luster and there are streaks of pitting where it looks like micro scratches have been made all over it. It's strange. I'll have to take a better look inside the keg itself tonight as the hot vapor from the rinse dosen't let me visualize well until it cools off.

I soaked my stainless conical fermintor in oxy overnight and the following day there was this hard grit covering the entire surface area. I thought that it was permanent at first, however after 1 1/2 hours of scrubbing most of it came off. Ive used oxyclean a lot, but never let it soak for that long. there is still a really heavy layer of grit around the top that i still need to scrub. Does anybody know how to get if off with out scrubbing the crap out of it?

Scut_Monkey said:
Maybe I need to take a few pictures to truely describe it.

Sounds like mineral deposits from soaking with hard water. I was sure I ruined my keggle after a long oxy soak. I had rough spots and it sure looked and felt like pitting. But a good vinegar soak cleared up the deposits.

I also had some spots that looked like rust on the bottom of my blichmann, with that I used bar keepers friend, small amount of paste, sit for 5 mins and then scrubbed clean.

Latest posts

Back