IPA=blah

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tCan

Reaction score
What exactly is attractive about an IPA other than as a dinner beer. Yeah they cleanse the pallet, but so does a glass of juice.

Depends on what specific IPA you're talking about??? Have you tried them all? All IPAs are not the same, but if you still just don't like this type of ale, then maybe you need to fine another type of beer that suits you. I for one love hoppy beers, IPAs being my favorite.

Z

IPA = blah

My response:
gasp.jpg

I dunno, there's always a place for IPAs in my heart.... so refreshing.

I think that we all have different tastes and what I love (IPAs) others might not. But others love sweet malty lagers, while I don't. The two beers I just can't get into are sours and wits. Ick to both, for me.

It's like food. I love hot spicy Thai food, but some people like Swedish meatballs. I'm just glad that there are beer styles for everybody!

As much as I've gotten a little tired of the IPA onslaught (one of the downsides - depending on who you ask - to living in PDX), I will always appreciate a nice hopsplosion. While I grow tired of over-confident beer snob guy who thinks he's smart because he talks down about non-IPA beers, I also grow a bit tired of people going "IPAS ARE GROSS AND TASTE LIKE SOAP!!!"...sorry you feel that way, others obviously do not, right?

tCan said:
What exactly is attractive about an IPA other than as a dinner beer. Yeah they cleanse the pallet, but so does a glass of juice.

Juice is sugary and large consumption leads to diabetes but iirc scientists have yet to find any downside to drinking beer en masse.

What is with all these bait threads the last few weeks? Seriously?

Juice is sugary and large consumption leads to diabetes but iirc scientists have yet to find any downside to drinking beer en masse.

You seriously aren't comparing to consuming mass quantities of juice and causing health issues to the idea there's no health issue with massive consumption of alcohol?

Really?

Cirrhosis of the liver, please look it up.

As to the OP's original point, I agree. The IPA style hasn't ever been one I've enjoyed, I've learned that in life, make yourself happy. If that's drinking IPA's or Stouts - who cares? I drink what I like to make ME happy, couldn't give a toss what someone else thinks of my drink choice.

OP's comment made me shed a small tear. I know everyone has different tastes but there is no other style that I'd rather go to than a delicious IPA, except maybe a double IPA. Also, this isn't meant to offend but I've noticed that most women I've seen try them hate hoppyness (bitterness). Obviously Yooper is an exception, but most including my wife hate them. Are you female, OP? Incidentally, I read somewhere about an evolutionary link to the disdain for bitterness b/c most toxic plants in our evolutionary past contained bitter agents. Maybe you're far more evolved than I am. Cheers anyway!

Some people like hoppy beers, some don't. What IPAs have you tried?

I just finished a Sam Adams Whitewater IPA which was the motivation for this thread. It definitely has it's merits, but as a stand alone beer, I just don't see it. I've had some others, but I dont remember. It was a while back.

Merits of Sam's Whitewater IPA:
5.8%
Relatively tasty head, which is also strong and long lasting
Relatively crisp and pallet cleansing despite the lingering bitter, hoppy, aftertaste.

Anyway. It seems that the IPA style is a love or hate relationship for many people. Interesting to watch in any case :mug:

OP's comment made me shed a small tear. I know everyone has different tastes but there is no other style that I'd rather go to than a delicious IPA, except maybe a double IPA. Also, this isn't meant to offend but I've noticed that most women I've seen try them hate hoppyness (bitterness). Obviously Yooper is an exception, but most including my wife hate them. Are you female, OP? Incidentally, I read somewhere about an evolutionary link to the disdain for bitterness b/c most toxic plants in our evolutionary past contained bitter agents. Maybe you're far more evolved than I am. Cheers anyway!

I am male and I love my ales. Lagers I'm not as fond of in general with some wonderful exceptions. Bitter is something I'm not afraid of, but IPA's just seem all bitter and no flavor to me. Maybe its that most IPA's finish on a bitter note that really drives me away.

Lagunitas Brewing is a good example of the variety you can have in the category of IPA with the multiple IPA(ish) brews they offer. They specialize in IPAs and make distinctions between IIPAs and Imperial IPAs: the first being dryer and more about the hops; the second having a stronger malt presence and "balanced." You also have Russian River, Stone, and Ninkasi that all have distinctive examples. I think many people haven't had a proper breadth of exposure to the style. I, personally, think belgians (beer) tastes like dirty gym socks, but I still try a new one from time to time to see if there's something I'm missing.

Sort of like asking "What's the big deal about the color blue. I like green."

Dude whatever red is by far the best.

But seriously, there's plenty of IPAs out there that are phenomenal beers. I've had a sip of SA Whitewater IPA from my friends glass the other night, and while I didn't think it was anything too special it wasn't too bad. My opinion would probably be a little different if I actually had a full pint, but it's something I could see myself picking up a 6er to get myself better acquainted.

I love IPAs, but the same old c-hop, citrusy American IPA does get old, considering that there are 9,000 on the shelf, and I've brewed a few myself. Why not try what I'm going to - brew an IPA with non-traditional hops. I'm going to do a noble hopped IPA - there are exactly zero of those available commercially, as far as I know.
But, hey, if you just don't like hoppy beers period, skip the IPAs. I could do without any beer to which the word Belgian could be attached, so my simple solution is to let people who drink that kind of beer brew and buy it.

Before I go drawing any correlations, does anyone else who loves IPA's not care for Belgians? And vise versa? Because Belgians are in the upper echelon of styles for me. Obviously IPA's are not my favorite.

Before I go drawing any correlations, does anyone else who loves IPA's not care for Belgians? And vise versa? Because Belgians are in the upper echelon of styles for me. Obviously IPA's are not my favorite.

I absolutely love Belgians and IPAs. I'd say my 5 most brewed styles are IPAs, stouts, saisons, tripels, and wits.

maybe try a hopdevil or a raging ***** IPA. hopdevils just one of my favorites so I have to recommend it but if you are looking for a really good IPA that has a good taste other than crushing hops I think raging ***** is the beer to go with. Its super hoppy yet it has a fruity malty taste to it as well. Its my favorite beer of all time (other than the beer I brew :D )

Over the years, I like my IPA's with more hop aroma.

With that said, there are some that are either not the hop profile I enjoy have a high abv and need to be aged.

West coast citrus, pine hops are my favorite.

As much as I've gotten a little tired of the IPA onslaught (one of the downsides - depending on who you ask - to living in PDX)

Oh good, it isn't just me! When I moved to PDX I was sooo excited to visit some brewpubs, but the foam died pretty quickly when I realized that 90% of the time their "eight fresh brews on tap" were seven IPAs and some random hefe or lager. I had some good brews while I was there, but the brewpubs are not one of the things I miss now that I've moved.

Sorry, hope that doesn't come off as a rant; I really loved Portland, I guess I just had this vision of beer heaven and it wasn't.

I just won my second medal for my IPA. I believe American IPA is one of the greatest things that my country has contributed to the world.

Trying to start a fight. Considering the audience (BURP)... surprised s/he didn't get one. tcan- relax... have a homebrew.

You might change your mind if you ever encounter a Founders redryepa,Avery-maharaja,SN estate ale,New Belgium Ranger,Any victorys ipas,lagunitas ipa,You may even think different if you tried Sam Adams,Third Voyage, although the SA ipa you tried i may say the same about, not a big sam adams fan. I concluded that i didnt like porters at first until i tried some good ones. Its not really about what you dont like its about refining your palate. I remember the early days where i couldnt tolerate a Sierrra Nevada Pale ale. Dogfish 60 min is nothing compared to what i experienced with some others over a year and i thought that was the best,now its above average to me.It doenst even taste the way i remembered. Your taste can change overtime.

I'm a huge IPA fan, but there is an absolute onslaught of IPAs and many of them seem pretty mediocre compared to the best of the style.

One of our local breweries (Good People) makes a Brett IPA for special occasions that is the best and most interesting IPA I've had in a long while. I wish it was more realistic to make Brett beers on regular/commercial basis.

tCan said:

No, do not draw that correlation, I love brlgians. I love me a huge hope bomb more. But in my two taps I always have one hoppy beer and one malty. I like that balance. I think that because you haven't experienced many ipa's the hops overpower everything else that is to be had. I really don't believe that bitterness os the main feature of a good ipa.

tCan said:

Honestly I am not wild about the style either. So far I've only found 2 commercial examples I enjoy: Bells Two Hearted and Anchor Liberty. To each their own, though I wish the style didn't take up so much space at the local beer joints.

I don't much care for what I've tried of IPAs so far. I've only tried a couple, but they seemed very skunked to me.

But then, I generally prefer things like Porters, brown ales & scottish ales. So my pallete might just lean more towards those styles.

scrambledegg81 said:
25 of my 30 years spent as a type 1 diabetic, and all I can think of saying is "WTF????"

He was referencing Type 2 diabeties, theorised to be caused by a long term insulin resistance in the blood, caused by an abnormaly high sugar intake. The body eventually disregards insulin response, because everytime it experiences it, there is too many unprocessesable sugars present in the blood that the body simply doesn't need/want.

When cells are saturated, they're saturated. :drunk:

He was referencing Type 2 diabeties, theorised to be caused by a long term insulin resistance in the blood, caused by an abnormaly high sugar intake. The body eventually disregards insulin response, because everytime it experiences it, there is too many unprocessesable sugars present in the blood that the body simply doesn't need/want.

When cells are saturated, they're saturated. :drunk:

True, but (trying not to hijack here...) so much of type 2 development depends on lifestyle & genetic inheritance that the "too much sugar" theory somewhat went out in the mid-90's.

I love IPA's. I often find myself in the position of using ~1lb of citrusy Cascadian hops in beers that started as pilsners, or nut browns, or just about any other style. Except Belgians. I don't like belgian beers. I used to try to. I thought since they were so popular I was the one that was wrong. I'd fake it till I could make it. It turns out that, in my opinion, all belgian beers taste like spoiled beer. They taste like all the things that make an otherwise good beer bad, and that's what some people think makes them taste golden.

My point is I hate belgians and love IPAs. You are the opposite. I can respect that, though we may never agree. I can appreciate others efforts in making a fine belgian, but I won't like it.

P.S. I have brewed a Saison annually for the past few years. I usually brew a new batch about the time the keg of the last batch kicks. I do this more for entertainment value. I give a glass to some poor unsuspecting guest and watch them try to choke a sip down while complementing the flavor before giving them a glass of real beer.

Bitter is something I'm not afraid of, but IPA's just seem all bitter and no flavor to me. Maybe its that most IPA's finish on a bitter note that really drives me away.

Perhaps it is just that you perfer the nuances of a nice belgian over those of an IPA/APA? There are several flavor profiles which can be pulled out of a nicely done, well hopped, "bitter" IPA. And believe it or not, most of those flavor profiles are NOT bitter... They are, however, easier to distinguish than some flavor profiles, such as those found in belgians... Just remember that not all IPA's are created equally, and I offer this challenge to all people: You may say you don't like hops/bitter beers, but i argue that you just haven't found the right kind of hops to enjoy.

On the other hand, belgian yeast strains offer flavors and profiles that are much harder to find the nuances in, and can offer a much more complex final product littered with esters and phenols. And while I don't mean that as a bad thing, they are (generally) higher alcohol, AND higher in sugar content, and a tad on the sweeter side.

They both offer their benefits and disadvantages depending on what side of the fence you sit on. But personally, I find it odd that more people speak out about hops than they do malts or alcohol content. I love hops, but beer is a pie chart, balancing malt, alcohol, and hops...

Back