JSP - Bent shaft ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chriso

Broken Robot Brewing Co.
Reaction score
Anyone ever bent the shaft on their JSP Maltmill? Any experience with repairability or cost? Is it covered, even? Only 1 month old....

It's not from motorizing, as you might imagine after my question re: power drills, but actually from poor storage. I had it inside a box, with another box on top, but with the crank rotated out of the way, and the upper box resting on the lower cardboard edges. Those edges gave way, and I never noticed, so I had equipment leaning on the hand crank instead. And it bent. Somewhat badly.

Saw BM's good experience with his DOA Barley Crusher, and I know JSP have a mostly lifetime warranty... but I fear this is filed under stupidity.

Could a local shop/handy friend with an hydraulic press straighten it for you?

Often, it is not that difficult, V-blocks, press, etc. may not come back exactly like new, but functioning.

Could you estimate the amount your sh... er, device is off by..?

Probably off by about 1 degree. Just called JSP and he recommended tapping gently with a hammer and a block of wood.

Back