Time that temperature is critical?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

403Brewer

Reaction score
I'm about to convert my current fermentation fridge into a kegerator and I'm trying to work out how to continue to use it for fermentation and beer dispensing...so my question is how long during fermentation (assuming not lagering) is temperature super important...if Im making a beer with a yeast that likes it around 68ish and I raise it to around 74ish (room temp) for the 2nd week of fermentation should I expect some poor results? The idea being here that I'd want to get my kegs back in the fridge ASAP to continue drinking. Its a small fridge so only room for kegs or brew bucket. Thanks!

I'm thinking about doing the same thing. Fermenting in the mid sixties for one week and then low/mid seventies for one week. I think as long as the yeast have stopped going crazy during that initial feeding frenzy it's ok. For me everything's usually calmed down quite a bit by day 5 or so, so I think I would be safe after a week. It could vary depending on your yeast and stuff though, so I would just keep an eye on it and move it when you think it's time.

I'd be interested in what other people have to say though.

The first 3-7 days (it varies) are the most critical for the production of off-flavors from too high of a fermentation temp.

First, use a good pitch rate (0.75 for ales, 1.50 for lagers) and aerate if using liquid yeast. If you can pitch at and maintain the temp at the low end of the strain's optimal range for the first week, and confirm that the krausen has fallen before moving it to room temp in the low/mid 70's, you should be OK for most low-mid gravity ales.

I also use my Keezer for dispensing and fermenting. I put the carboy in at 60 degrees on Saturday (brew day) and then on Thursday or Friday I take it out, assuming the vigorous activity is done by that time. Then I'll let it sit at room temp for another week or two. I haven't noticed any off flavours so far (from fermentation at least).

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

When you disconnect a keg and don't purge or open the top and let it sit for a week or two do you lose all/any of the carbonation? Or another way to ask it is once you hook it back up to the CO2 (and assume its cold) how long until I can pour a pint?!

It should be fine to serve as soon as it's cold again (you might want to let it settle a bit as well) assuming you don't have any leaks. Just think of it as a big bottle.

Back