To bottle or not to bottle??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duker

Reaction score
My first batch was in the primary for a week, I then transfered to my glass carboy and it has been there for a week, the question is how long can I leave it in the carboy (will it go bad, or does it matter), my thought is to leave it there until the weekend, transfer to bottling bucket Saturday morning, let it sit over night (to clarify a little more) and bottle on Sunday.

I don't see a problem with leaving it in the secondary till the weekend. The secondary fermenter is really just a clearing tank anyway. Then as long as it is done fermenting go ahead and bottle and leave it alone for at least 3 weeks!

Congrats and what did you brew?

Edit: changed because the first post made little to no sense at all :)

You can leave it in the secondary for well over 2 weeks without a problem. Don't bother with letting it sit in the bottling bucket overnight, not really necessary. Congrats on the first brew:mug:

Autum Amber Ale / Midwest Homebrewing...

Will probably go with a couple more extract kits to hone my brewing skills, any suggestions?

duker said:
any suggestions?

Brew what you enjoy drinking. If there is a commercial beer that you really like, get a clone kit for it. That way you have an idea of what the finished product should taste like, it's a good way to work on your brewing technique.

My first thought on the title was "Yeah, go ahead and bottle -- I tried a straw in the carboy and that didn't work out so well."

I wouldn't let it sit in the bottling bucket overnight, but it can stay in the secondary until you bottle with no problem.

Rick

The tried and true 1-2-3 method is a good way to go. One week in primary (to ferment), two weeks in secondary (to finish fermenting and clear), three weeks in the bottle to condition.

That being said, it's good to use your hydrometer to ensure fermentation is complete if you want to rush things. On the other hand, time is your friend, so allowing enough time in each section will make better beer.

Waiting beyond the 1 week in primary and two weeks in secondary will not hurt anything, unless you stretch it out really long, like by months. There's much more info like this in www.howtobrew.com, a helpful read if you haven't seen it already.

Thanks for the advise...I think I will look into a Pete's or Sam's clone :mug:

Bottling on Saturday:rockin:

Another question...
I checked on my brew and it looks like there are some "white specks" floating on the surface. What is this? Any concerns?

rickylr said:
My first thought on the title was "Yeah, go ahead and bottle -- I tried a straw in the carboy and that didn't work out so well."

Rick

lmao - good chuckle to start my long day at work, thanks.

"I checked on my brew and it looks like there are some "white specks" floating on the surface. What is this? Any concerns?"

It could be any number of things really. Usually you'll have some sort of solid material that floats to the top during the primary fermentation. It's a little more rare for it to happen in secondary but I wouldn't worry about it.

duker said:
Another question...
I checked on my brew and it looks like there are some "white specks" floating on the surface. What is this? Any concerns?

Noting to worry about. It could be just little yeasties kicked up by CO-2 escaping. Or a wee bit o moss if you used that.

Back