Wyeast 2112?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmr9

Reaction score
Hey all,

I've never brewed a lager before and I've been interested in giving it a try. I have no means of temperature control for a colder fermentation so I've been looking around for a relatively clean "lager style" yeast that will ferment at warmer temperatures. Has anyone used this strain for anything other than a cali common or baltic porter?

I use it for cream ale, which turns out well. I plan on using it for a pumpkin beer this fall. Might also make a faux-oktoberfest with it too. Its quite versatile.

Awesome, thanks for the input. I've been thinking I'd like to take a crack at a Vienna style or and Oktoberfest, was definitely hoping this would be a good candidate yeast

Sure thing! Just be aware even though its good at higher temps than straight up lager yeast, you'll have better results if you can keep the fermentation in the low 60's. I usually start at 59/60 and then up it to 62/63. But, do the best you can.

No. I've done a couple batches now using the 2112. I've fermented at around 64* and had excellent attenuation. I will say that it's taken a couple weeks to really chew through stuff, but the pale ale I just brewed up with it is amazing. Marris Otter 2-Row and Amarillo making a perfectly clear beer that's super clean and light in flavor yet it turned out at 7%!

BlackRock said:
No. I've done a couple batches now using the 2112. I've fermented at around 64* and had excellent attenuation. I will say that it's taken a couple weeks to really chew through stuff, but the pale ale I just brewed up with it is amazing. Marris Otter 2-Row and Amarillo making a perfectly clear beer that's super clean and light in flavor yet it turned out at 7%!

I have been considering using it in an Oktoberfest. I don't really have the capability to keep the temp at 50 for the fermentation but do have the fridge space for lagering. I just wast sure if doing so will give any benefit.

Back