Hop cones with leaves protruding

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopmomma

Reaction score
I've already got almost-complete hop cones but some cones appear to have leaves growing out of the center. Will post pics. I've been keeping watering and grooming of the plant on a fairly tight schedule but I've not seen anything lie this. Everything appears to be healthy too.

ForumRunner_20120709_153432.jpg

ForumRunner_20120709_153442.jpg

ForumRunner_20120709_153540.jpg

I have heard something like this could happen if you give them too much nitrogen too late in the hop development life cycle. It may not be an issue at all as jfrank suggested, just a thought.

My plants offered me quite a few of these when I harvested. It didn't bother me at all and I either plucked the leaves off or just threw them in as-is.

I've only got about 4 of them on my Chinook. All the other developing hops look fine. Still waiting for the Willamette to start doing somehing. Not much progress there.

Some varieties produce more of these than others. The big ones that I grow are Bullion, Cascade and Chinook. There's nothing wrong with the hops - it's just a quirk of nature and being that they're usually found at the very tip of the vine leads me to think that they possess both lateral and main vine characteristics. In the kettle they go!

B-Hoppy said:
Some varieties produce more of these than others. The big ones that I grow are Bullion, Cascade and Chinook. There's nothing wrong with the hops - it's just a quirk of nature and being that they're usually found at the very tip of the vine leads me to think that they possess both lateral and main vine characteristics. In the kettle they go!

into the kettle indeed. Maybe ill use The winged cones for aroma therapy. Haven't decided. I'm sure my brewer boyfriend will not allow any cone to escape the kettle though.

Just had Hoppy climb up the Cascade pole and sure enough, I got wings too!

'cock' hops.jpg

I've only got about 4 of them on my Chinook. All the other developing hops look fine. Still waiting for the Willamette to start doing somehing. Not much progress there.

I have the same thing happening at the tip of my leading Chinook bine. I think it looks pretty cool. Other than that, I really know nothing about it. and I am intrigued... I've never done a soil analysis, so i don't know the nitrogen levels. I transplanted them, into a raised bed garden, late june. The bines have slowed down, only reaching ~10ft and started growing flowers. Also, they're 1 year plants, that i ordered from great lakes hops.

jperry said:
I have the same thing happening at the tip of my leading Chinook bine. I think it looks pretty cool. Other than that, I really know nothing about it. and I am intrigued... I've never done a soil analysis, so i don't know the nitrogen levels. I transplanted them, into a raised bed garden, late june. The bines have slowed down, only reaching ~10ft and started growing flowers. Also, they're 1 year plants, that i ordered from great lakes hops.

I have begun harvesting the Chinook! And the Willamette has begun to cone! I did get a decent amount of "winged" cones but all is looking much better. These are first years that I dug up and transferred from a friends yard. Looking good. Good luck. I've already gotten about 6 oz of dry hops but I look forward to more.
Salute!

Latest posts

Back