priming with triple sec

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OneADemBrews

Reaction score
i brewed a wheat ale with different orange ingredients added to the boil.

6.5 lbs wheat lme
1 lb wheat dme
1 lb 6-row
1 lb light caramel malt

1 1/2 oz east kent golding @ 60
.5 oz warrior at 10

1 oz corriander powder
1 tsp orange blossom water
2 tbsp orange marmalade
zest of 3 oranges
3g cracked grains of paradise
all at 5 min

i plan on bottling this weekend if the gravity stays the same. i tasted it out of secondary today and didnt get too much orange out of it. my question is should i prime with 16 oz of triple sec or not? i want more of an orange flavor but i am wondering if i should bottle it with corn sugar as usual and see how it turns out, or just go for it with the triple sec. triple sec at 16 oz will give me 4.6 oz of sugar which is fine. thoughts?

I would use some grated orange peel to make a orange tea out of your priming liquid. So, boil some water (0.5 cup), kill the flame and put some fresh grated orange peel (1.0 oz) in and put a lid on it for five minutes. Then smell and taste the tea. strain out the peel and add to your bottling bucket with priming sugar.

I have primed with Frajelico, and it turned out fine. The nutty taste came right through. I used 14 oz, but may have wanted a less carbonated beer.

I say go for it!

I don't think the triple sec itself with ferment because it is already alcohol therefore would not carb your beer. The triple sec I have is 30 proof.

I don't think the triple sec itself with ferment because it is already alcohol therefore would not carb your beer. The triple sec I have is 30 proof.

There's plenty of sugar in there, I think it would work. The amount of alcohol (once diluted down) won't be enough to inhibit carbonation.

The 16 oz of triple sec i have will give me 4.6 oz of sugar. 8 g of sugar per ounce. I bought oranges today to do the tea, but i still cant decide which way to go. Oh the possibilities.

Back