Raising FG after Fermentation done

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyberwollf

Reaction score
I have recently been playing around with trying to brew alot of <1.050 batches. They are all still in the primaries so no results yet.

One of them is a stout that started around 1.040. In the event that it comes out a little thin. Is it possible to mash a little carapils, boil, cool and add to the primary after 2-weeks or so? Improve the body a little?

I've never done it, but I don't see why not. I suspect your results will be unpredictably different from what they would be if you had mashed the carapils together with the rest of it initially. It's hard to know how the yeast will go about eating the new sugars this late in the game. Give it a shot! :mug:

lactose may be a better choice since its 100% unfermentable. kinda tough to gauge the body without any carbonation tho

Wont lactose be more of sweet unfermentables, where Carapils or carafoam, etc, will be non sweet body?

good point, the lactose does bring its own sweetness, but i guess it depends how much you'd be adding.

I would look into some type of food grade dextrine extracts. I would look into maltodextrine or something like it to add back what you think you're missing.

I had the opposite happen to me, so I brewed another batch replacing some of the 2-row with dextrose, and then blended the two to meet in the middle. Turned out good.

Of course, beers in my experience ALWAYS seem thin post-fermentation but pre-carbonation, when it's flat, so it may just be a matter of carbing, but it's your call.

I like the maltodextrin idea. I will be kegging so I can always boil a little and pour in the corny if it's thin tasting after carbonation :)

Latest posts

Back