general question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ztp

Reaction score
I have downloaded a few different variations of brewing software and none of them have pumpkin as an addition? I know that pumpkin probably does not add to the fermentables or IBU or anything like that, but I would be curious as to how many calories it adds and what not? Not that I count calories but at the rate I have been drinking.... Maybe I should start lol.

If you are mashing the pumpkin, it will add fermentables, I just couldn't tell you the ppg but I hits big boost from adding puree to one of my ales.
Hopefully someone can give you a more specific addition estimate

Pretty sure pumpkin adds fermentables either way, though mashing probably adds more.

Edit: Hmmm... after some checking, it seems, if going by the weight of raw pumpkin, that sugar is about 1.5% by weight, and that starches are about 5% by weight. If using about 60oz of pumpkin for a 5gal batch (according to one I just took a look at), that means you've got the equivalent of less than 1oz of sugar, with another potential 3oz if mashed - though the accessibility won't be 100%, and you won't get 100% efficiency of the starches that ARE accessible.

Even still, for the sake of argument, let's say you can convert all that starch to an equal weight of fermentable sugar. So that gives you about 4oz of sugar total, in a 5gal batch. That's less than 2.5 gravity points, under *IDEAL* conditions.

And variability between different pumpkins and uncertainty of the efficiency of the whole process, it add anything, up to about 2 points.

So basically, unless you're using significantly MORE than a pound of pumpkin per gallon, you're really best off just figuring it MIGHT add a point or two, but not worrying about actually having to calculate it.

BTW, a thread title such as "general question" explains nothing about your post, and many people will just ignore it, since they don't know what it is, and can't be interested about the topic. You might have the most qualified person in the world on the subject of the fermentability of pumpkin browsing the board, and yet skip over your post completely because he has no way of immediately knowing that it's a question he can answer really well.

Besides, the question wasn't general at all - it was incredibly specific. And it was very easy to summarize in just a few words for the sake of a thread title.

In the future, I strongly suggest you put a little more thought into how you title the thread - you can't expect everybody on the board to read your post just to find out whether it's something they even know anything about. Threads are created all the time that go completely unanswered because of unspecific titles, and it's also often apparent that barely anyone has even bothered looking at it.

In short, if you want help from people, you really shouldn't make it difficult for them. Help them help you.

Well i just assumed it was a general question about brewing software, not just a general question. I didn't think that the title was going dictate the answers I was going to receive. I didn't want to make a title "brewing a pumpkin ale and the software that contains pumpkin somewhere within the additions." if I wouldn't have been on my phone I would have been in more detail about the subject but my girlfriend just asked me about how many calories my on deck beer would contain so I figured I would ask and see why this wasn't on any of my brewing software. But I will take note and be more specific in the next thread I post. thank you for your general interest in my thread though, I did learn something and am very glad that you responded.

It was an extract brew and I added 60 oz to the boil. I was just curious why it isn't included on many software when all types of spices are included which are nothing more than a flavoring.

Ztp said:
It was an extract brew and I added 60 oz to the boil. I was just curious why it isn't included on many software when all types of spices are included which are nothing more than a flavoring.

The spices and flavor extracts are generally included in a separate additions/misc section that assumes no fermentability at all, which is obvious when you consider the fact that they are treated the same as things like campden tabs, whirlfloc, yeast nutrient, brewing salts, finings, etc. They serve mostly for planning/recording/reminding purposes, as they don't actually factor into any equations.

It'd be impossible to add every possible flavoring agent, but most software should include the ability to add whatever you want to the database.

You can also add pumpkin to the fermentable database if you want (at 1 or 2 points/pound/gallon, if mashing), but since you're not mashing - netting you a maximum of about 0.5ppg, or about an additional 0.4 total to your recipe - it makes more sense to uncomplicate things and treat it strictly as a flavoring agent rather than a fermentable.

Well that makes sense. I was just curious as to why this wasn't a common addition on the brewing software that was out there since this a fairly common brew and the addition can make a impact, even if a small one, on the entire brew. Sorry if I made uncomplicated subject more complicated than it should be. I know there are a to of things that could be listed on these but aren't.

Latest posts

Back