Which Malt Will Leave Most Unfermentable Sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgoldb1

Reaction score
I'm going to be doing a post fermentation boil of some malts to add to a beer that turned out too dry. I was going to steep some crystal malt in about a gallon of water for 30min. Then boil it down to about a half gallon, chill and add it to the beer sitting in the fermenter. I need to know which type of malt would provide me with the most unfermentable sugars after steeping/boiling (C20/60/80...). I would assume that something like Crystal 135/165 would be what I'm looking for but was wondering if there's other malt that would add lots of unfermentable sugars also.

I understand that fermentation will most likely start again but I doubt the yeast will eat through all the crystal. If it's still too dry after a week I'll repeat. My IPA will most likely end up being a 14%+ barley wine but that's fine my me.

I was going to steep some crystal malt in about a gallon of water for 30min. Then boil it down to about a half gallon, chill and add it to the beer sitting in the fermenter.
This is a BAD idea. The water (wort) will carry in O2 and will oxidize your beer.

I need to know which type of malt would provide me with the most unfermentable sugars after steeping/boiling (C20/60/80...).
No crystal/cara, roasted barley or black patent malts will ferment.

I understand that fermentation will most likely start again but I doubt the yeast will eat through all the crystal.
There is zero fermentables in ANY crystal/cara malt.

All in all this is just a BAD idea. You would be better off to make a different beer that has a lot of cara malts in it with the same hop schedule and then blend both beers AFTER fermentation is done on both.

Step fermentation is a perfectly valid option, but what I am wondering, is how do you know it needs to be changed????

Tasting the uncarbed beer is a time honored pile of BS in my book. I have tasted beers in the fermenter that tasted like crap and carbed up fine.

I was distracted by your question, which was a bad one, which one has the most unfermentables?

My answer should have been: LEAVE YOUR BEER ALONE. If it is too "dry" after carbing, adjust the recipe next time.

Step fermentation is a perfectly valid option, but what I am wondering, is how do you know it needs to be changed????

Tasting the uncarbed beer is a time honored pile of BS in my book. I have tasted beers in the fermenter that tasted like crap and carbed up fine.

I was distracted by your question, which was a bad one, which one has the most unfermentables?

My answer should have been: LEAVE YOUR BEER ALONE. If it is too "dry" after carbing, adjust the recipe next time.

This is the best option.

What you are basically saying is that you did not design the beer you were looking for.

Edit...but I love tasting the beer both uncarb'd and in fermentation process, if you know the beer you are brewing you will know if it is wrong, but many beers change either good or bad once carb'd up too.

Back