Vista

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TxBrew

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I just got a new Dell computer and it has Vista installed.

What garbage! I am about to reformat it and install XP.

Are there any Pros to Vista over XP I am missing?

TxBrew said:

Well I don't know your level of experience, but just a word of caution when it comes to reformatting a new Laptop/PC. Some new systems have a partition that is the "recovery" image. If you go to reformat and install a new OS be aware that you may be stepping on your recovery image. Even though they give you a "Recovery CD" sometimes all that does is just copy from the recovery partition to the active partition.

Sometimes.... not often...

I miss DOS.

Actually, the only way I know how to change a file extension is to rename the file through the command prompt; I'm an idiot, but I've never been able to figure out how to do that through Windows. For some reason, when I download Basic Brewing Radio podcasts, they come in as MPEGs instead of MP3s, so it's fun to watch the confusion on SWMBO's face when I go in and start typing basic DOS prompts to fix it.

Dude said:
I thought you still used WIN 95? :p

That was the last OS that worked without any flaws for me!

Im slowly adapting to Vista, and just have to upgrade by graphics cards and RAM. Time will tell.

the_bird said:
...the only way I know how to change a file extension is to rename the file through the command prompt; I'm an idiot, but I've never been able to figure out how to do that through Windows...

open My Computer (or any explorer window)
Tools / Folder Options / View Tab
Uncheck 'hide extensions for known file types'
OK

Rename away!

I still have a computer that I have to stick a DOS 5.25" disc into so I can load programs. I love new sports jepardy 1987. Penn State isn't in the Big Ten. Awesome!

I'm reformatting to XP.

Vista is complete garbage! What a huge miss for Microcrap. Maybe this will allow someone else to come into the market with a better product though I don't even know if they can with all Microcraps patents.

As a former full time employee at Microsoft, who used to work on windows, I have no plans to install Vista in the forseeable future. I'm very happy with XP, its incredibly stable for me (I haven't had my computer crash on me in years) and very compatible.

I also just bought a Dell with Vista. I got it for my folks, who are complete newbies to computers so Vista's weaknesses won't matter. I set it up though, and within a few seconds could tell I'm sticking with the XP I have in my computers.

I have never seen a new computer go sooooo slowwwwwww....

Chimone said:
Ive figured out how to deal with all the bugs from Vista

Im getting a mac

Amen brother! See you on the dark side!

V = Virus
I = Installed
S = Switch
T = To
A = Apple

So as to not be accused of plagerism, I stole this from another distinguished member here.

this thread doesn't give me much confidence...

I need to build a new rig and I am unable to re-install my *ahem* ill-gotten copy of XP Pro so I need a full install OS. XP is $185 and Vista Home Premium is $225. I think Vista at some point will be a decent OS and since my last new PC was about 4 years ago, I may want to get Vista so I'm set in the future. My question is, should I get the 32-bit or 64-bit version on Vista? I've heard there are a lot more problems with the 64-bit but the new processor will be 64-bit so again, this ties into the planning for the future.

Ummm.....I'm running Vista Home Premium on a new Dell without any problems.
Don't get me wrong, the UAC's where a P.I.T.A. and I had to wait for a
Roxio patch. But all in all I like it.
It does take a little getting used to, but then again, anything would be better
than the 850mhz WinMe system I was running before.:eek:

I've been running Vista since last fall - I'm really not having any problems with it... the new interface isn't all that necessary after the "cool" wears off but it has been completely stable and I haven't had any compatibility issues except for a few drivers that have since been resolved.

I'm running a 1.3ghz Athlon that I can't overclock anymore since my PC gets too unstable. I can't use some programs since they just lock up and can't uninstall them or if I can, when I clean out the registry and then reinstall, they just lock up again. Due to the hardware req's of Vista, I need to upgrade (not a bad thing!) but still, i'm looking at $620 and thats without replacing my graphics card which I'm hoping I don't have to do just yet.

Vista is garbage. I don't have to install it or see screenshots to know. Any mass marketed OS that requires a "premium" computer to run it is crap. OS's should be focused on getting smaller, lighter, and faster, with the ability to take advantage of all the latest memory capacities, bus/processor speeds, and I/O protocols. An OS shouldn't require 1GB of RAM, 1GHz processor, and 128MB of video memory to operate (keeping in mind current computing standards and the "average" home user's system today). It should require a minimal amount of system resources, yet schedule the remaining available resources (no matter how large or fast) in a near optimal manner, while providing a user friendly way of interfacing with the system (note: user friendly, not graphics/sound/media intensive - leave that to my applications). I thought XP went too far with its animations and such. Vista takes that BS to a whole new level. I'm not saying an OS's front end shouldn't look good...but it shouldn't look good at great cost to my computer's speed and efficiency.

EDIT:
Just finished reading the article b4b suggested above. Holy dog$hit! Vista is dealing with DRM at the OS level? And there is a discussion of hardware level content decryption (sounds like it may already be implemented...perhaps I'm a bit behind the times)? WTF? Once again, let the OS deal with scheduling tasks, let my applications handle the rest!

BTW, saw this ad when I was looking at the system requirements page on the Microsoft website:
0000053432_000000000000000396349.jpg

sause said:
I still have a computer that I have to stick a DOS 5.25" disc into so I can load programs. I love new sports jepardy 1987. Penn State isn't in the Big Ten. Awesome!

Long live the Commodore 64! :rockin:

Jeez.. I stoped upgrading my OS @ Win2k.. XP crashes here at work atleast twice a week.. and in public saftey that isn't good.. The only computer we have at home that has XP is SWMBO's laptop for school and that is only cause she doesn't let me use it.. our other 4 computers are either Win2k or Linux.

LONG LIVE THE PENGUIN!!

SpamDog

I forget so fast! Now I'm reminded of all the previous Windows and the constant lock-ups and blue screens.

I haven't had too many problems with XP, all of the crashes were due to a faulty piece of RAM. I also have just started messing around with Ubuntu but finding drivers are a pain.

todd_k said:
I haven't had too many problems with XP, all of the crashes were due to a faulty piece of RAM. I also have just started messing around with Ubuntu but finding drivers are a pain.
For what? Hit me with pm or on chat or aim I'd be happy to help out w/ ubuntu.

TxBrew said:
I'm reformatting to XP.

Vista is complete garbage! What a huge miss for Microcrap. Maybe this will allow someone else to come into the market with a better product though I don't even know if they can with all Microcraps patents.

hmmm Funny you should say that.. (Sigh... Another Satisified Microsoft customer)

here check this out. there IS something now that you mention it.

http://www.distrowatch.com

a tracker for every Linux Distro that is active.

Ubuntu Seems to be the rave but check out Redhat, Mandriva and see what you think

anyone have Windows Vista 64-bit? I'm about to purchase parts for a new pc build and I need to decide if I want 32 or 64-bit Vista.

Security if you aren't already running anything, and DX10 if you are a hardcore gamer. Not enough to justify $110 upgrade.

a tracker for every Linux Distro that is active.
Interestingly enough Linux is no more secure than a properly configured XP box, If you configure it to do all the things Windows can it actually becomes less stable than XP. The fact there are literally a few hundred builds many of which are not compatible with each other. It is a good choice if you are a programmer, or just do basic stuff that doesn't need wide compatability. Give you another myth buster, per capita, Linux servers get more attacks and average more security patches than windows each year. I'm not a big gates fan but Windows is still the mainstream and more software is written for it than anything else. People who complain about the stability of 2K and XP are generally either repeating things they have heard or don't know how to configure a windows server or workstation.. We use both where I work and the linux servers are actually down more often than windows because they get patched more often...

Interesting you bring up my favorite argument and the subject of my master's thesis :rockin:

anyone have Windows Vista 64-bit? I'm about to purchase parts for a new pc build and I need to decide if I want 32 or 64-bit Vista
What do you plan to do with it? If you are buying the "Home edition" I'd stick with XP. I have been working with Vista since the first Beta build and other than the new graphics have yet to be impressed.

budbo said:
What do you plan to do with it? If you are buying the "Home edition" I'd stick with XP. I have been working with Vista since the first Beta build and other than the new graphics have yet to be impressed.

I plan on using it for everything; internet, pictures, gaming, video... I plan on having this PC for a few years so I don't want to get another copy of XP, I'd rather get Vista if it's going to work properly. Plus, I'll have a 64-bit processor so I thought I'd take advantage of the 64-bit Vista. Nothing I do now runs on 64-bit but like I said, I plan on having this pc for a few years so I don't want to have to upgrade again anytime soon.

The key there is, very little software can actually use the 64 bit power. If you are a gamer then Vista is going to improve your experience if you are buying a DX10 ready video card once the games are written for it. If you go 64 bit make sure your hardware all have drivers for it before you buy, and get home premium edition at the minimum.

Maybe I will go with Vista 32-bit Home Premium. It's about $30 than a full install of XP home (and I need a full install regardless of which one I buy). My only concern now is my power supply, it's 400w and i don't know if that is gonna cut it.

Avoid 64-bit like the plague unless you really need more than 3GB or RAM. 64-Bit Operating systems suffer from a severe deficiency of driver support and many things do not work. So unless you really have a compelling reason to get it, stick w/ 32-bit.

I'm sticking with the 32-bit Vista, got it for $218 on Amazon (not OEM either). Here is what I got from newegg. Not top of the line but a major improvement from my AMD 1.3 Ghz.

Default building a new PC - can I use my old power supply?
I'm wondering if I can get away with using my old Antec 400W power supply with this new PC. This PC is for everyday use and I will use it for some gaming but I'm certainly far from top-of-the-line. Here are the spec's:

ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard - http://www.newegg.com/product/Produc...82E16813131013

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ Windsor 2.8GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 Processor - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103771

SAPPHIRE 100166L Radeon X1650XT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102068

CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820145590

Thermaltake W0093RU ATX 12V 2.0 Version 500W Power Supply - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817153028

TxBrew said:

• MS Paint that comes with Vista saves in .jpg by default, and the picture viewer does a nice slide show.
  • You can resize NTFS partitions without destroying data or having to reformat.
  • Windows Experience Index allows you to compare your hardware's performance with your friends' systems using standardized baseline ratings.
  • The search box automatically has the focus when you click on the Windows logo (formerly the Start button on the taskbar), so as soon as you click the logo you can start typing... anything. It doubles as a Run dialog box - you can type the name of a program you want to run and it will run it, or type the partial name of a file you want to search for and it will search for it.
  • If your computer doesn't boot all the way into Windows, a troubleshooter automatically takes over and does a decent job of trying to fix the problem without you having to fuss with it hardly at all.
  • "Documents and Settings" is now called simply "Users", and "Program Files" is now called "ProgramData" (notice no space) for easier batch file usability. Oh but wait, you can't run unsigned batch files (.bat extension) anymore. You either have to buy a trusted PKI certificate from a CA authority and digitally sign all your batch files, or learn VBS scripting instead of batch scripting. Whoops, sorry to complain on the Benefits list. Couldn't help myself. :eek:
  • I hear that the Windows Media Center is vastly improved over the one included in WinXP. Vista's version is pretty slick. I never used the one with XP so I can't say for sure. WMC would be included in Vista Home Premium or Vista Ultimate only.
  • Instead of using Alt+Tab to switch between programs, use WindowsLogoKey+Tab. It cascades the windows themselves around a 3-dimensional axis so you can tab and shift-tab through them like business cards in a Rolodex.

See anything earth-shattering there? Anything worth the extra hard-earned cash?

Vista is a true hog of system resources and confusingly complicated to configure. Microsoft went so far overboard on the hardware requirements you essentially have to have a system built within the past 9-12 months just to be able to handle it. The most commonly configured settings seem to always be 4-5 levels deep in menus, whereas they were easily accessible in previous Windows versions.

Bottom line, Vista sucks. Stick with XP even if you're buying the full version outright. It's not going anywhere anytime soon.

Bringing up a slightly old thread here, but it seemed like the right place to vent and/or ask questions.

I just bought SWMBO a new Dell laptop, and I didn't have a choice about the OS - it was Vista or nothing. So far, Vista isn't all that impressive. It's just different enough to be irritating, and I agree with just about every negative aspect posted here so far.

Now here's the real kicker...it seems to me that the damn OS is slowing the whole computer down. It's got a dual core 1.8GHz AMD 64 with 2 GB DDR and a 5400 RPM hard drive. The video card is an ATI Radeon 1270 with 256 MB on board. Why is my brand new computer so f'ing slow?! What am I missing? I have a damn degree in computer science, I got it all connected and updated, and it's still freakin' SLOW!

Back