Budweiser American Ale Commercial

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCuckerson

Reaction score
Why does AB say "dry hopped for a full bodied flavor..." in their tv commercial? What do they take us for?

Answer: the ordinary consumer watching TV commercials.

Remember, nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste and/or intelligence of the American people.

Have not tried it yet. I actually want to try one just to see what it actually taste like but im scared my friends will see me walking out of the store with one and they will either stone me or beat me :(

Have not tried it yet. I actually want to try one just to see what it actually taste like but im scared my friends will see me walking out of the store with one and they will either stone me or beat me :(

It ain't that bad....considering the source...and besides the 22oz bottle is a pop top....win/win...IMHO

Its actually funny that Bud took all this long to make an ale. I believe what will happen from them doing this is that people will go out and try this, if they like it they may say to themselves..."Wow...this ale is good, maybe I should try other ales".

I believe this will back fire on Bud, they will sell it and make money but if this beer is ok and does have a taste that BMC drinkers like they may start to look into other ales out there which is great.

It's really not that bad. Give it a shot. I think that most of the people giving it such a bad rap are doing so out of a distaste for the brewer rather than the beer itself.

It might be a fairly decent beer, but in my opinion I can buy several other better beers for a buck or two more a six pack. I have absolutely no desire to try it.

I think a lot of people that have come out bashing it would be singing its praises if it was poured out of a Russian River bottle

It's really not that bad. Give it a shot. I think that most of the people giving it such a bad rap are doing so out of a distaste for the brewer rather than the beer itself.

Agreed, It's probably more hate because it's from Bud. I have people who tell me they don't like it but they drink Abita Amber, which I think Buds American ale is better. At least American Ale I can pick-up the hops in.

And the bottles are nice for bottling your next brew. lol

I tried it last weekend. My first extract was better. It had plenty of grassy flavor but no citrus that cascade represents. They probably threw together the first ale that came out. I found very light malt, a slight amount of bitter and no taste or aroma. this is the closest thing to cardboard I have ever tasted. It kinda reminded me of a very weak SN Southern Hemisphere. And no I didn't like that grassy beer either.

I bought a 6 pack and thought it sucked. Very weak hops for the style and not much malt. And it's not that I'm a total beer snob. I actually think that the Michelob Pale Ale, also made by AB, is actually pretty good. It's got a great smack of hops for a mass produced beer and actually has a strong dry hopping to it.

But Bud American Ale -- only thing it's good for are the bottles, which are quite nice.

I think a lot of people that have come out bashing it would be singing its praises if it was poured out of a Russian River bottle

Oh bullcrap.

I don't want to drink with that person then because they have no clue.

That bud ale is tasteless crap and it is a complete joke that they think they need to bust into the craft beer market. It makes me loathe A-B even more.

EDIT--And not to split hairs on the subject, but dry-hopping CAN affect flavor....body not so much, but flavor, I agree with Bud's statement.

Oh bullcrap.

I don't want to drink with that person then because they have no clue.

QFT.

I'm not bashing American Ale because it is what it is, an entry ale, a way to get people used to the other beers out there beyond the land of light lagers.

But I judge my beer by taste, thank you, not by who made it.

There are A-B products that I enjoy. I like most Michelob beers - the Amber Bock is quite nice for a quaffing beer, the Porter is quite excellent, and I even like the plain ol' Michelob Light for a premium light lager. And let's not forget that Stella Artois, Bass, Red Hook, Boddington's, Leffe are all under A-B's name.

But I have tried the American Ale, and did not like it. It was drinkable, yes. It had a trace of hop character, yes. But overall, I found it watery, and considering the premium price that A-B has associated with it, I can find better beer for less money.

New Belgium $6.49 on sale ... Goose Island $6.99 on sale ... Bud A.A. $7.99 for a 6pk. I know which I'll be buying.

I'm not saying it's utter sh!te in a can. I'm not saying that anyone who drinks it is a horse's ass. I'm just saying that Bud A.A. is not enough of a value, for the taste, for me to continue buying it.

So, the person who would, hypothetically, praise the exact same beer if it were made by Russian River, but would bash the exact same beer if it were made by A-B, is an opinionated fool who needs to rely on his taste buds. There, I said it.

Cheers, I'm going to finish my Tanqueray & Ginger Ale now.

My first extract was better. It had plenty of grassy flavor but no citrus that cascade represents. They probably threw together the first ale that came out. I found very light malt, a slight amount of bitter and no taste or aroma. this is the closest thing to cardboard I have ever tasted.

Yup... exactly how i would describe it. zero taste, aroma or hop flavor... dry hopped my **

and while i dont drink BMC's i certainly dont look down on them or the people that do - with that being said bud's american ale absolutely *sucks*

went to an event where they had it for free. Could have stayed there all night drinking for free. I was curious, tried it, left and went to a pup to get a real beer. What a disappointment.

Well we will see, if I come acorss it where someone has it I would like to try it. I will not buy it though for the price that I have seen. I also again believe it will back fire on Bud.

Its actually funny that Bud took all this long to make an ale. I believe what will happen from them doing this is that people will go out and try this, if they like it they may say to themselves..."Wow...this ale is good, maybe I should try other ales".

They have been making Ales for a while under the Michelob label.

If it is dry hoped it has got to be like one once to 50 gallons. I can't even smell it. I have only had around twelve of them.

SNPA is cheaper (but I have to go the the state ran store.) SNPA FTW!

New Belgium $6.49 on sale ... Goose Island $6.99 on sale ... Bud A.A. $7.99 for a 6pk. I know which I'll be buying.

So wait a minute, this beer is selling for the same price or more than a good micro or craft beer? Give me a fricken break. Why would I want to go spend my money on that?

So wait a minute, this beer is selling for the same price or more than a good micro or craft beer? Give me a fricken break. Why would I want to go spend my money on that?

My point exactly.

If it were selling penny-for-penny for Budweiser, say $5.99 at the average gas station, then I'd pony up every now and then because it is a decent mass-produced sessionable ale. Due to its price point, however, I just choose better beers, IMO, for less money.

i'd say that i'd be much harder on the beer if it came out of a russian river bottle, i hold that brewery to a much higher standard.

i agree that while it does bear some similarity, it lacks the big flavor i like to get from a dryhopped amber ale. it is what it is, it'll appeal to some people's tastes and i'm not one to say that their opinion is any less valid than mine.

give it a shot and make your own opinion. i'd say i'd prefer an american ale to a bud light, so for me it's a step in the right direction. but not quite enough to lure me down to that end of the beer aisle.

Must be where I live but all off the micro/craft beers retail for around $8.99 and up per six pak while the Americal Ale comes in at $6.99. I think this is beacause the closet craft brewery is in ATL (Sweetwater). I wish I could get a great micro/craft six pack for less...

I stared at the Bud AA for several minutes, and just couldn't bring myself to buy it. Later that day we went to some of my wife's relatives place and they had some there. Had that and the Michelob Pale Ale. Both are decent, but not quite there. I would be disappointed if one of my beers came out like that and had 5 gal to go. They are drinkable though, and a good start for AB. Around here, I have sent the AA for $6.00, maybe slighty more but definitely under $7.

I thought the American Ale had an OK flavor but was to thin and over carbonated giving it a ginger ale type feeling as I drank it.

Linc

I believe this will back fire on Bud, they will sell it and make money but if this beer is ok and does have a taste that BMC drinkers like they may start to look into other ales out there which is great.

Considering AB happens to own a lot of those supposedly local breweries out there if this American Ale steers people into the direction of AB's other beers that 'appear' to be micro brews then it isn't really a loss for AB. I wonder if the whole purpose of the American Ale isn't so much to gain business for the American Ale itself but to increase business for some of their micro breweries they own.

With regard to price...Its insane they are selling a brand new beer for more than existing brews with reputations for being what they claim American Ale to be. Everytime I go into a liquor dept I check the price of the American Ale, shake my head in disgust, and then move on to something else.

$9.99 a sixer around my parts, thats three different stores.... no effin way. only stone is that expensive, and at least i know it rocks. till bud drops the price, or i can buy a single for a buck, i will never know what it tastes like.

Considering AB happens to own a lot of those supposedly local breweries out there if this American Ale steers people into the direction of AB's other beers that 'appear' to be micro brews then it isn't really a loss for AB. I wonder if the whole purpose of the American Ale isn't so much to gain business for the American Ale itself but to increase business for some of their micro breweries they own.

With regard to price...Its insane they are selling a brand new beer for more than existing brews with reputations for being what they claim American Ale to be. Everytime I go into a liquor dept I check the price of the American Ale, shake my head in disgust, and then move on to something else.

I agree the price they sell it for is a bid ridiculous. Glad I bought it for $6.99 for a six pack when I got some. It's still not worth that price.

I do like to see AB moving in this direction though. If this sells well, then maybe they'll try something a little more adventurous. I'm not sure what some people expected from AB though with this Ale. They are a large company and are trying to appeal to a large customer base. Look at their past brews and know they are going to go on the waterey/bland side of the style.

So wait a minute, this beer is selling for the same price or more than a good micro or craft beer?

I get for $5.62 (tax and all).....nothing els comes close to that price in a popper. Sam Adams are $7.49+tax, and it goes up from there. I am fermenting my second brew, so I am in need of the bottles and the american ale is cheapest around these parts. I just wished my friends/aquaintances drank it or other pop-tops!

As for the quality, the first two sixers we bought weren't all that bad. But, the last three sixers have tasted really plain (wife still liked 'em). Let's just say that I can't wait to have enough bottles so that I don't have to buy any more. :mug:

later,

<edit> forgot to mention, last time I picked some up, there was a stray pack of Paulaner Oktoberfest that I snagged as well. Got to the counter and the dude asks how I can stand drinking all of that dark beer crap! :eek: I started to inform him that Oktoberfest, while considered a dark-lager, was not really 'dark' at all......but he was already on to ringing me up, so I dropped it.

I'm sure I'll get a lot of disagreement on this but - God bless Bud for putting this thing out there.

The idea that Bud is going to be using its monstrous distribution network to expand the sensibilities of those that prefer the "making love in a canoe" style of beer towards more flavorful, well made craft-beer-style brew will have a rising tide effect on most micros and craft brewers. After years of crap marketing and innuendo which included things like how darker beers are darker because of "impurities" (yes - that was a marketing point some years ago from the BMC clan) having the machinery of the BMC marketing goliath move towards convincing people there is more to beer than pale yellow is a good thing.

I haven't had it, but I hope its decent only because I wouldn't want people to try it as "something different" and have a completely crap beer moment and swear off drinking anything that doesn't look like urine from that moment forward. I might try it, or might not. Kind of one of those "can't look away from the fat naked chick" things...

Ok. Done. Commence the pelting...

Gordie.

My intent for starting this thread was not to critique Bud AA, but to dissent against the fact that they are selling us BS marketing rather than good beer. 6 months ago I would not have known any better and said: "wow, its dry hopped for more body....." I have learned so much from our beloved craft!

I had one a week ago that was a draft (and cheap). It's amazing, all that work to use Ale yeast and make it taste like a Bud even though it's not lagered. I doubt I'll ever drink another, like the lager it's nearly tasteless.

EDIT--And not to split hairs on the subject, but dry-hopping CAN affect flavor....body not so much, but flavor, I agree with Bud's statement.

Shenanigans! Dry hopping will not increase body as the ad states! Keep them honest.;)

It ain't that bad....considering the source...and besides the 22oz bottle is a pop top....win/win...IMHO

Hammy is winner winner chicken dinner! I tried one. Drinkable and a re-useable 22oz bottle...... fits my criteria.

I have no problem with AB. I'm a beer snob, but I believe that all beer has it's occasion and that AB has it's place in brewing history. With that said, American Ale does suck. I can't think of a micro pale ale it stands up to.

Back