Hurricane Sandy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I as well have a first world problem like losing a DirecTV signal. My new immersion chiller was sitting in Hartford, CT for 4 days. I don't have any brewing ingredients but screw all these people with their flooded towns, missing houses, and dead people. I need my chiller. /sarcasm

The thing is I was driving in the middle of the storm because we lost power and was heading to a friends house. There was a couple out experiencing the storm while they were walking a dog in the middle of the street. There were trees everywhere. They could have been killed by me rounding the corner in my car or a branch landing on their head. I could have been killed just by being in my car. Nothing should be taken lightly. People survive doing stupid things while innocent others are permanently impacted by no means of their own. You never know when you're numbers up. I think that was the core of his statement. Although he did rocket through the ********* stratosphere. What a way to go out in a bang :)

I saw/read some guy died sleeping in his house when a tree fell on his house and crushed him.

I'm inside tonight finally, catching a little break. The worst part about this now is I'm working so much I can't attend to my own family's needs. My next day off is Saturday so hopefully I can get some stuff done then.

Luckily my family is safe. We have no power but who cares about power when people died and homes were destroyed. I live one block up from the bay and the water came up to my steps but not in the house. A police officer drowned in his basement after getting his family to safety. Another guy and his twin son died when they refused to leave. The mother and other twin left and now get to mourn their family members. Two seperate marinas are both on land right now, boats still tied to the docks, around the corner from my house. A boat almost made it into my front yard. Walking through the park where my kids play and seeing boats on land is an eerie feeling. Like a scene from The Walking Dead or I am Legend, where cars are all piled up and empty. Seeing disasters on TV doesn't do it justice.

Golddiggies comments were certainly disrespectful and asinine, but i think they show that hes full of **** when he says he lived through worse. If anyone lived through worse than the destruction NY and NJ suffered and still had the balls to say what he said then maybe he deserves to be at the bottom of a deep puddle.

ForumRunner_20121031_233802.jpg

ForumRunner_20121031_234044.jpg

ForumRunner_20121031_234232.jpg

ForumRunner_20121031_234408.jpg

I'm in that area that might get a direct hit, right on the coast of Connecticut. I know pretty much everyone is expecting it to hit Jersey, but I'm not taking any chances. It wouldn't be the first time a hurricane changed course at the last minute. We've got enough water and food for about a week plus two full propane tanks for heating. Being in the military, I have to stay in the area and I'm not sending SWMBO to stay with the in laws because paradoxically, even though the in-laws' place is inland, the topology of the land makes it more prone to flooding. I'm not worried about a surge since any surge would have a decent climb to get to my house. But once it hits it's going to slow down and just dump rain all over the place. Either way we're going to get some of it so we're just going to hunker down and ride it out. Good luck to all the other east coasters.

What part of Groton are you in? I used to live on High Street in Mystic...Had a couple boats down in Noank....Hope all is well with you, I saw some heartbreaking footage from Misqumicut Beach. Hope you fared better.

Wow, I appreciate all of the personal updates from people and hope you are all doing well in spite of everything. It is certainly a horrible scene up there. I was talking to someone on Tuesday who's family lives in or around Ocean City, NJ. He said they evacuated but hadn't heard from them yet at the time. Hopefully he has by now. I won't see him again until next week.

wolfstar said:
What part of Groton are you in? I used to live on High Street in Mystic...Had a couple boats down in Noank....Hope all is well with you, I saw some heartbreaking footage from Misqumicut Beach. Hope you fared better.

I live about a block away from EB, about 10 minutes from the sub base. We didn't get hit too bad, just lost power for 18 hours and the shed got blown over. Nothing compared to the NY/NJ folks. My heart goes out to them. Only a couple miles away, down right on the water, there was a little flooding, and but nothing real bad. We certainly had the Big Guy upstairs watching over us.

Airborneguy said:
Mike lives a block from the park we bring my daughters to. It's full of boats now.

That's crazy.. I wonder what they'll do with them? Is theft a problem? I mean it could be hard to take off with a whole boat, but some of those look to be 100 grand plus, and I'm sure there's all kinds of crap you could pillage off of them if that was your mindset.

Made it to Pa.....staying in these

ForumRunner_20121101_070023.png
At dorney water park outside of Allentown Pa....late when we got in so I haven't seen much but PPL says 2/3 of their customer's are out of power! 2 growlers didn't make it through the night...rip

Friend of my wife's sorority sister was killed walking her dog after the storm when a tree uprooted itself. I guess the ground is so saturated the trees can't support themselves.

Stay safe everyone up there!

^ was that the couple in Brooklyn?

I wish I had the heart to go take pictures down by the water here, but I really can't do it. Seeing it yesterday was enough. When I'm working, it's part of the game to turn it off, but seeing it after work, so close to home, was too much.

Airborneguy said:
^ was that the couple in Brooklyn?

I wish I had the heart to go take pictures down by the water here, but I really can't do it. Seeing it yesterday was enough. When I'm working, it's part of the game to turn it off, but seeing it after work, so close to home, was too much.

Yeah it was actually.

Its getting stressful, but everyone is mostly hanging in. Had to request a little 'professional curtesy' to get formula for my kid because so few food stores are open. Forget gas, I'm hoping for the best on that one. Two nights left then I'm off for the weekend, hopefully. Our ****ing mega-bucks out of touch mayor insists on holding the marathon sunday which might mean more overtime and a lost day off.

Yeah we'll be lucky if all the cops show up. So far, its been great as far as everyone showing up and working hard, even though many were personally effected. I met a LT last night who lost his home completely but he's still working. But the marathon? I could definitely see a lot of guys refusing to show up so that they can finally take care of business on what would have been their day off.

that marathon thing is comical to me.

Comical in a 'what is wrong with these people?' sort of way. Seriously? Sorry you've been training and made hotel reservations, but tough. It's pretty morbid.

And thanks for the updates, Airborne. It's been fascinating to read your posts. I guess 'fascinating' isn't the right word and I'm not sure what is. Your first hand accounts of the destruction have kept me glued to this thread.

I see gas stations are closing but is it due to lack of gas of power? After Isaac, more than half of our stations had gas but couldn't pump it because there was no power.
Damn, I feel so bad for all those folks as I've seen what a storm can do to a city and a psyche. Prayers and thoughts go out to all.
And, special thanks to all the volunteers who travel from all over this great country to help those in need. I wish I could do so but for now, I can only send money. It does look like my brother and some friends will be going soon to help gut houses.

Yeah we'll be lucky if all the cops show up. So far, its been great as far as everyone showing up and working hard, even though many were personally effected. I met a LT last night who lost his home completely but he's still working. But the marathon? I could definitely see a lot of guys refusing to show up so that they can finally take care of business on what would have been their day off.

One of our officers who is in the guard is down there helping you guys. Are they requesting any help from other police agencies like they did for 9-11? I haven't heard a thing about it. It seems like it would make sense to call for help so you guys can take care of your homes and families. We had local EMT's and Fireman go but no police. I don't know how you guys are doing it, we prepared for disaster and only got a little wind. Screw the marathon and stay with your family for the weekend.

I work for an environmental clean up company and employees from all over the country are getting sent in to help. They're having to fly in to Pennsylvania and drive to NY/NJ.

My name might get picked. I'd love to help everyone over there.

then again, we're talking about people who run for fun...

It seems really odd but at the same time the small businesses and hotels could use the money right now to get to work rebuilding, paying insurance deductibles, etc.

He's going to piss people off whether you have the marathon or not, just pissing off a different group depending on which way he decided it. Might as well make the decision that brings money into the local economy.

He's going to piss people off whether you have the marathon or not, just pissing off a different group depending on which way he decided it. Might as well make the decision that brings money into the local economy.

I was thinking it was a really callous decision but you've made a really good point.

[edit] I really meant to put really in there twice. Really.

MLS playoff series between NY and DC has been changed so the first leg is DC hosting instead of NY... you know, because Red Bull Arena is running on generators right now. For some reason people are pissed about that, like the weather was avoidable :rolleyes:

One of our officers who is in the guard is down there helping you guys. Are they requesting any help from other police agencies like they did for 9-11? I haven't heard a thing about it. It seems like it would make sense to call for help so you guys can take care of your homes and families. We had local EMT's and Fireman go but no police. I don't know how you guys are doing it, we prepared for disaster and only got a little wind. Screw the marathon and stay with your family for the weekend.

No outside cops as far as I know. Remember, we have 32,000 or so of our own. ;)

Made it to Pa.....staying in these

View attachment 81874
At dorney water park outside of Allentown Pa....late when we got in so I haven't seen much but PPL says 2/3 of their customer's are out of power! 2 growlers didn't make it through the night...rip

The only thing I can think is, sucks but better than nothing. Stay safe. :mug:

It seems really odd but at the same time the small businesses and hotels could use the money right now to get to work rebuilding, paying insurance deductibles, etc.

I can see both sides but side with giving the working man time to tend to his own.

How are people behaving?

Everyone will get screwed over. They will say the wind damage was flood damage. And the flood damage was wind damage. And the hurricane damage was caused by an act of god. Just my 2¢.

Marathon still on but the largest hotel in SI refused to honor their reservations and instead gave the rooms to displaced people. The anger over the marathon is boiling over.

I don't use reddit. What's the question? Maybe I can help through here.

Marathon still on but the largest hotel in SI refused to honor their reservations and instead gave the rooms to displaced people. The anger over the marathon is boiling over.

I don't use reddit. What's the question? Maybe I can help through here.

I linked the thread. There is a guy that is in desperate need of fuel. I am sure most are as well but he is in your neck of the woods. you can create an account for free. There are even homebrewing sub reddits

http://www.reddit.com/r/sandy/comments/12hexh/gasoline_anywhere/

Back