Ginger Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thasnazzle

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Partial Mash
Yeast
WLP001
Yeast Starter
none
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
n/a
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
4 weeks at 68
Tasting Notes
Pours gold with a nice rocky white head. A hint of ginger up front balanced by grapef
Grain bill:
1 # crystal 20l
1 # crystal 60l
3 # pale liquid extract
3 # pale 2-row

hops:
1oz Cascade @ 60min
1oz Amarillo @ 30min
.75oz Cascade @ 10min
.25 oz Cascade @ 5min

extras:
1oz sliced ginger @ 10min
1.5oz sliced ginger @ 5min

Brewed 3.12.12, bottled 4.09.12, first taste on 4.15.12. Pours gold with a nice rocky white head. A hint of ginger up front balanced by grapefruit/citrus hop character with a clean finish. Carbonated it on the high end for the style, and I think that turned out well.

This is easily the best beer we've brewed so far (I believe it is batch number six), and I was surprised that it turned out as balanced as it did. I'm thinking next time we brew we may taper off the hops or move some of the amarillo to later in the boil to up the ginger character.

If you are looking for something with a well-pronounced ginger character I'd definitely recommend upping the ginger or dialing back the hops. This is closer to a pale ale than a ginger beer.

If you do decide to tweak, keep me posted... this one looks to be worth fine-tuning.

Latest posts

Back