BeerSmith Worth $$

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhart94949

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just wanted to get everyones 2 cents on the BeerSmith software? Is it worth it? Does it have tons or great information you cant live without?? I am considering getting it but dont want to waste $22 bucks on information that I could probally get off this forum.... Would love to hear about it!

Thanks

~Joe

I just wanted to get everyones 2 cents on the BeerSmith software? Is it worth it? Does it have tons or great information you cant live without?? I am considering getting it but dont want to waste $22 bucks on information that I could probally get off this forum.... Would love to hear about it!

It takes some getting used to but I think it's worth it. It's very helpful with recipe building and recipe tracking. It's also handy because of the various little tools and utilities it provides like hydrometer temperature adjustment and weight/volume conversions.

You can certainly find this same information scattered about online but Beersmith packs it all into one convenient package.

Definitively worth it!

I have both the old version (1.4) and the new (2.0).
I actually prefer the old one.

It does things that you could do with a pencil and paper, but it makes everything SO much easier! Definitely worth it! It also makes it very easy to figure out your own recipes.

It's worth it.

I had similar questions. Eventually bought it, and it took a long time for me to get used to it, but now I wouldn't be without it.

If you get the trial version you will most definately buy it. At least that's how it worked for me. :mug:

I prefer Beer Tools Pro, however either one of them or other competitor programs will help you out. Some of the free ones are pretty good as well.

Totally worth it! I too prefer the old version though as one other mentioned. I never bought the upgrade. I use Beersmith in Linux and even though some had problems with Beersmith 2 under Linux I found info online how to get it to work in Linux perfectly fine so I got to use the trial. IMO the new one isn't much better than the old version and I prefer the layout of the old one so I'm sticking with it.

Anyhow, yes, it's well worth it. Every recipe I've ever done (using extract - only just started AG) has been within 0.002 of the OG and FG estimates.

Rev.

I think it's worth the $22, I use it frequently to create and modify recipes. Once I nailed down my equipment profile, it's quite accurate at predicting water volume, strike temp, etc. However, if I were only using kits, I probably wouldn't use the software as much. I also like how I can keep track of my recipes, rate recipes, keep notes, create different version of recipes, and visualize when I brewed/bottled/age different brews.

I also installed it on my dropbox folder, so I can either use it on my desktop or on my laptop and it will stay updated when I make changes.

Of all the money that will get poured into this hobby, the $20 you spend on Beersmith will be the best purchase for the money you will ever make. Seriously.

That has been my experience, and I believe if evaluated in the grand scheme of all purchases, this is a drop in the fermenter so to speak for such a great and useful tool.

I'm really happy with BrewTarget, what are the big differences?

From the replies here, it sounds great. So, I'd say the big difference to me is the twenty two bucks.
I have heard it has other features that are cool, but that it has a sort of steep learning curve.
My problem with Smith is sort of minor, but I followed one of his recipes for a 1698 Alt, and it turns out the malt bill is nowhere near what an Altbeir should be. I still really liked the beer, but a BJCP said it was WAY off.

To get your strike temps right, to adjust for efficiency, to get mash and sparge volumes right, to adjust ingredients in case you're HBS doesn't carry them, to adjust AAs in case your hops are not the same as the recipe--just off the top of my head. And that's before you start seriously tweaking or writing recipes.

I use BrewTarget, though. It's free (although if you like it, donate!) and works great.

Batinse said:
To get your strike temps right, to adjust for efficiency, to get mash and sparge volumes right, to adjust ingredients in case you're HBS doesn't carry them, to adjust AAs in case your hops are not the same as the recipe--just off the top of my head.

+ 1

I also use BeerSmith as a database of recipes. BSmith allows you to add notes and realized values to your recipes I'll put the new recipe in, tweak as you describe, then print the brew schedule from there. At the end of the day I'll usually update with my scribbles that I jotted down.

Sent from my iPad using HB Talk

Is it worth it? As a new all-grain brewer, there is no question it is worth $22.

Can you live without it? Of course. Man has made beer for thousands of years without Beersmith.

One of the things about beersmith that gets to me is that it's a desktop app that doesn't talk to a web server so you can't access all of your recipes / inventory list from anywhere (although I just end up remote desktopping into my home computer, but it's not really that convenient).
It has really helped me out understanding how to build better recipes and why I should put different ingredients in. It can also be really helpful if you're brewing for a competition.

Back