Gelatin in the Primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hollypoptree

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just brewed a Vanilla Pumpkin Cream Ale that's been sitting for about a week. I am anticipating losing about a gallon when I siphon into my secondary in another week or so. However, I would like to minimize my losses as much as possible.

I've searched through some threads for advice about brewing with pumpkin (specifically with gelatin and cold crashing) but it seems that everyone adds gelatin to the secondary or keg. Would it be crazy to add gelatin to the primary, let the trub settle, siphon my beer to the secondary add my vanilla beans, and let it sit a while longer? Or is gelatin something you only add to the secondary, and if it is why?

You can add gelatin to the primary with no problem. Most add to secondary or keg because they want to harvest yeast out of the primary. It's tough to wash yeast out of jello.

Cold crash for a few days and then add the gelatin. Do a search for the proper procedure. There are a few threads spelling it out. Good luck!

Awesome! I'm not harvesting the yeast but I plan on tasting the left over beer jello :) I'm sure it will be pretty gross. Thanks!

Back