Pitching Rate and Oxygenation Experiment.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaiser

Reaction score
In order to better understand the ester production in by Weissbier yeasts I ran an oxygenation/pitching rate experiment a while back. While I had the results published for a while now, I didn’t bother announcing them as the experiment was disappointingly inconclusive. A fact that I blame on the yeast that I used as well as the less than optimal oxygenation method. But I think its still an experiment worth mentioning:

Pitching Rate and Oxygenation Experiment.

I plan to redo this experiment with less samples (evaluate pitching rate and oxygenation in separate series as opposed to evaluating a matrix of 9 samples) and a better yeast. Most likely W68, (WY3068 or WLP300) which is a more widely used Weissbier yeast.

Kai

What about using olive oil in place of oxygen as described in a recent issue of BYO? Are you planning on any experiments with that? Seems a bit unorthodox to me, but might work well.

What about using olive oil in place of oxygen as described in a recent issue of BYO?

I don't care much about the olive oil thing and because of that I'm not as much interested in the results. Someone else could try this. Seems to be all the rage right now ;).

Kai

Back