BJCP category for slightly high gravity saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moti_mo

Reaction score
So I really hate when I'm right on the border of a style's guidelines and end up racking my brain over the correct category for a competition. Mainly b/c in the grand scheme of things, I don't want to be constricted by style guidelines, I just want to brew good beer. But...I would like to have a couple of beers place well too, so...

The saison I just brewed was 1.067 OG and finished at 1.004 FG, so the OG is just barely out of the high range for BJCP (1.065). But because of the high attentuation, the ABV (~8.3%) is definitely out of the suggested range, up to 7%. The guidelines mention stronger versions - "Strong versions (6.5%-9.5%) and darker versions (copper to dark brown/black) should be entered as Belgian Specialty Ales (16E).", but do I really want to enter this in Belgian Specialty Ales? Its a well-made saison and doesn't taste overly alcoholic because its so dry, so should I follow the rules to a T, or say screw it and let it go toe to toe with the other saisons?

How apparent is the alcohol? Unless the answer is "very" I think it is probably not special enough for specialty and it would do better in Saison. Most competitions would let you enter both.

To me, the alcohol is not very apparent. It drinks really smoothly. When you mention most competitions allowing you to enter it in both categories, do you mean entering the same beer in two different categories in the same competition? That seems shady, but I haven't entered many competitions.

Yes, you can absolutely enter the same beer in two categories. Most of the time if there are limits, it's only to limit one entry per category per brewer.

The judges at the table have no way to know what your numbers are. They can only perceive that the beer tastes boozy or not. If it tastes like it fits the style, enter it!

-chuck

Latest posts

Back