Pale or Blonde + Jamaica... Help Me Decide!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gremlyn

Reaction score
So I want to make a beer including jamaica (which is hibiscus flower tea). I love the taste of the jamaica drink at the local mexican food restaurant and think it would go great in a summer beer. I am trying to decide what it would go better with though, pale ale or blonde. I am leaning towards the blonde right now, but haven't got a recipe going yet. I need to make some jamaica tea without sugar and see how bitter it is as well. I wouldn't think there is much in the way of natural sugar in the petals.

I've hear people having success adding the hibiscus (dried) in wheats or wits. Serves similar purpose as adding orange zest.

If I had to choose b/w blonde and pale ale - I'd vote blonde. Pale ales are bitter and hoppy. I'd think the hibiscus adds a sweet/sour note that I can't picture going in a pale.

Although, this is homebrewing and you should do whatever you feel like! I'd actually like to hear how it would taste in a pale ale!

I was thinking the hoppy/bitter could work work well with the hibiscus if I chose the hops properly. Some are quite floral already.

For the pale go with something clean for your hops - Magnum/Palasade
For the blond add some wheat malt and then maybe - Northern Brewer/Saaz

I have wanted to do a wheat with rose hips and hibiscus for a while. It might be in the pipeline soon. I have too many projects at once.

I've not done a blonde before, think I should find a recipe with fruit added already and sub in the jamaica tea for the fruit? It probably needs to be a pretty basic blonde, with the hops choice being the most important ingredient. I don't want to pick a hop that will conflict. I wonder if Brewer's Gold would be too much if I just used 1 oz at 60 mins, though it is quite a bold flavour/aroma... but I love it so.

Brewer Gold at 60 would be good.

I like to through in a little Saaz in my blondes, but I don't know how it will ultimately play out with the jamaica.

Back