60 vs. 90 minute mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wild Duk

Reaction score
Is there any benefit to mashing longer. My first 2 all grain batches, I've done a 90 minute mash, just by going on the advise of my LHBS. Lots of the recipes that I read only have a 60 minute mash. What is the difference, besides the obvious 30 minutes.

The 60 minute mash will leave you a thicker, heavier, slightly less alcoholic beverage than the 90. 90 minute mashes will increase the fermentability of the wort thus giving nice crisp beverage.
I thing there is arguments for both.

Thanks!

So if a prefer a drier beer, stick to my 90 minutes??

O.K. thanks

now how about a 60 vs. 90 minute boil.

I've been doing 90 minutes just again from LHBS advise. Can I get the same results from a 60 minute boil.

Thks

O.K. thanks

now how about a 60 vs. 90 minute boil.

I've been doing 90 minutes just again from LHBS advise. Can I get the same results from a 60 minute boil.

Thks
Jamil Z seems to have a 90 minute boil for most of his recipes.

I usually do a 60 minute boil and my initials are also JZ.

hmmm...:drunk:

90 minutes will change the hop utilization so you may need to adjust timing of the recipe and amount of hops added. Also, the 30 minutes will save you from boiling off about 3/4 of a gallon of water, so be sure to account for that.

I did 2 brews yesterday, took 6.25 gallons of total wort and boiled for 60. Got exactly 5 gallons after dumping into primary.

Latest posts

Back