Kolsch hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IowaHarry

Reaction score
Small quandry here. I got a kit from Midwest for a kolsch. The hops are 1 oz. perle 8.2% and 1 oz. tettnang 4.4%. Putting both in for the 60 minute boil I get 60.4 IBU's. That sounds more like an IPA. Kolsch style ranges IBU's from 20 to 30. I can get the 21.1 IBU's by just using the tettnang and pocket the perle for later. Is that the way to go?

Are you doing a full boil? If so, the kit likely is formulated for a partial boil, which reduces hop utilization.

I don't have beersmith up in front of me(at work), but I'd probably bitter with the perle at the full boil and then use the tettnang as a later addition, maybe 20 minutes? 15?

i would use 3/4oz of the perle for 60min and 1/2 oz of the tett at 2 or 3 min. they work well together and i like a bit of aroma with my hefe. i use spalt but tett is nice too. as in all things that is what i like and you might like something else.

The Perle is in and I am getting my boil on.

Getting jiggy with it, as it were.

Man am I caucasian...

Back