Opinions on Stainless Mesh Hop Spiders

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zanemoseley

Reaction score
So I've never made an attempt to keep pellet hops out of my primary but occasionally my dip tube gets stuck when trying to drain the kettle which is a PITA because I have to break out the siphon which is a lot slower. I also usually lose at least 1/2 gallon of beer because my dip tube doesn't drain from the dead center of the keggle. Not to mention the beer I lose in the primary from being tied up with the hops.

I'm thinking of getting on one of the 400 micron stainless mesh hop spiders as well as replace my smaller copper dip tube with a large 90 degree stainless dip tube that will pull almost all of the beer out of the kettle and probably faster with the larger diameter.

What do you guys think of these mesh screens? I like that the stainless looks easy to clean but I've never used any type of hop screen at all.

I have a 400 one. Still lets hops through but not enough to cause problens. Its not too bad to clean. probably would buy again

Yeah I figured it would let at least the very fine hop pellet material through. I guess if it got fine enough to hold all that back then it wouldn't let water through well.

Made my own and mine is 10" in dia. Works better than I anticipated and can't imagine anything working better. Mine isn't as fine as the one you are considering and lets pellet bits through. I don't care as my whirlpool takes care of any of that. One of the best equipment additions I've made.

I made one of these and it is working very well. the bags are only $3 each and they clean very easily. I thought about going all stainless but after building this I couldn't justify the extra cost.

I put 2 1/2 pounds of hops in it for my last brew and I hardly had any in the kettle at the end. I just let it drain, dumped it, hosed it off and it looks like new.

7B1E3C59-8512-48DB-A658-BF4706A49110-683-000000589B16AAE4_zps485a5766.jpg

Back