Pass Through for Refrigerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doggage

Reaction score
I bought a great old fridge that was converted to a kegerator. There's one thing I'm not crazy about: the oversized and poorly cut hole in the side of the refrigerator for passing the CO2 hose through. I'd like a tighter seal around the hose so humidity can't get in and cold out. I've been using duct tape, but I'd like to cut the hole a bit larger and get some sort of bulkhead to clamp down. Unfortunately, there's not much room on the inside for a big pass-through shank. Anyone have any suggestions for a cheap and clean-looking solution?

That tutorial is a little complicated since that's to be watertight. But it gave me a great idea. I'll just use a pvc conduit end for going into a junction box. I think the 5/16 hose will fit perfectly in that. If that doesn't seal well, I'll definitely just make the bulkhead in that tutorial. Thanks!

Fill the gap with plumbers putty or expanding foam (be careful that stuff expands a lot and gets everywhere). The foam is easy to cut after it cures. The putty has some give. I even used some blue goo to seal up a similar situation.

If you're putting your primary reg outside the tank, you can go with brass fittings.

Get a female hose barb for the inside, a washer, a short tube, then a washer and whatever fitting you want for the outside (I suggest a pneumatic tool fitting as a QD.)

Squirt a bit of spray foam in before you tighten the threads the whole way.

Option two would be a bulkhead fitting, and put the flange on the inside, the threads on the outside. Then you just need whatever fittings.

If you're not against PEX tubing, you can get John Guest (slip) fittings that will do it.

B

mrPM1212E_lge.jpg

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/1WTB9?Pid=search

Or get it in brass
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/4DHH7?Pid=search

Latest posts

Back