IBU way high on pro mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wormsgetsold

Reaction score
I'm making a simcoe pale ale. Using pro mash I came up with 95.4 IBU. Hop schedule: 1.5 ounce simcoe 60 min (11.9%), .5 simcoe 15 min, 1 ounce cascade 5 min. This seems nuts to me. Am I right? Or am I brewing a really bitter IPA? It's an Austin Homebrew Supply recipe.

Grain bill:
10.25 lbs. 2-row
.5 lbs. munich
.5 lbs. cara pils.
estimated OG 1.058

this is my first ag following a recipe from someone else. well, I made a centennial blonde from this website, but other than that I use pro mash to make my recipes. Is the promash wrong, or am I in for some serious bitterness. I love the IPA, just not what I was planning on, and 95.4 IBU seems really high even for an IPA.

For a Pale shouldn't the IBUs be in the 30s or thereabouts?

I'm calculating around 75 IBUs based on your recipe using Tinseth and about 95 using Rager...

this is what I am saying. I am now fearful of a much too bitter beer. I didn't use a calculator as I thought AHS would provide me with a good recipe. Now I am worried. I guess I'll bottle this one and give it lots of time. I was planning on kegging it as I have two empty kegs, but if this finishes even 75IBU I will give it several months to mellow. Here's hoping. WTF was AHS thinking with 1.5 ounces 11.9% for 60 min. The problem was that I didn't use a calculator until I was 20 min into the boil. boo.

Maybe it was supposed to be .5 for 60??
facepalm.gif

I would certainly complain to AHB...they'll probably offer some sort of compensation, especially as that recipe/kit is obviously not right.

Latest posts

Back