DIY "sanitiser keg" with ball lock valve

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eddiewould

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Looking to build a "sanitiser keg" on the cheap. Basically what I want is a bottle I can fill with sanitiser solution and then pump out of that bottle through my beer lines / taps etc. It should have a ball-lock valve fitting

Obviously the right way to do it would be a second corny keg. But wondering if anyone has done it on the cheap?

Was thinking some kind of double-ended soda bottle (i.e. with two screw caps) and on one end I put a corny keg ball lock valve, on the other end I put a bicycle pump valve. But obviously there's no such thing as a soda bottle with two screw caps.

Any ideas? Or should I just abandon and buy a second keg?

Piece done of those together last month, works like a charm. Especially for ten bucks or so worth of parts.

This isn't the cheapest route but it's still less than a corny keg and I am lazy so I didn't want to sit there and pump for over an hour to clean and sanitize my 3 tap lines. The pond pump was $20. I just slip 1/2" silicone tubing over the faucet for the return to the bucket.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1391360149.913165.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1391360307.233993.jpg

Here's what I did in the end (damn you yanks with your 5/8" threads! finding anything to fit was a mission)

Works pretty well, just poured my first beer from my new Keezer!

22.jpg

I am just get my keg equip., so I can't speak from experience. Couldn't you just fill the keg with cleaner, pressurize it and run the lines. Is it a waste or will it not work? Be kind being a noob to kegs.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I am just get my keg equip., so I can't speak from experience. Couldn't you just fill the keg with cleaner, pressurize it and run the lines. Is it a waste or will it not work? Be kind being a noob to kegs.

Yes you can but you are wasting CO2 that way. According to the beer line cleaner bottle you are supposed to run cleaner through the lines for 15 minutes. That's a lot of CO2 to clean 3 or 4 lines. With my pump setup I connect all 3 lines from my kegerator turn it on and set my timer on my phone. After cleaning I rinse with plain water and then sanitize. To do this with a keg and CO2 would be a huge PIA

Yes you can but you are wasting CO2 that way. According to the beer line cleaner bottle you are supposed to run cleaner through the lines for 15 minutes. That's a lot of CO2 to clean 3 or 4 lines. With my pump setup I connect all 3 lines from my kegerator turn it on and set my timer on my phone. After cleaning I rinse with plain water and then sanitize. To do this with a keg and CO2 would be a huge PIA

I like that setup to make it easier..plus another tool to modify. What type of pump and fittings did you use?

I like that setup to make it easier..plus another tool to modify. What type of pump and fittings did you use?

I got a pond pump from lowes with 1/2" NPT output. Used a reducer to get down to a 1/4" cross. I managed to get the pin lock posts onto 1/4" NPT threads but they aren't the same. Since then I've seen a few places that sell an adapter to go from NPT threads to a corny post.

The pump doesn't put out a ton of flow due to the restriction of the hose but I don't think it really needs to. I use 120F water from the water heater to mix with the line cleaner and after just a few min of running it the faucets are quite hot to the touch. This should be sufficient to loosen up any sticky crud that's dried out in the faucet.

Hey guys,

Looking to build a "sanitiser keg" on the cheap.
Any ideas? Or should I just abandon and buy a second keg?

No soda keg is required, any container will do.
I used a 5 gallon plastic container I had floating around with a cheap ebay submersible 12 VDC pump.
I fill the container first with hot PBW, circulate for 30 min, water rinse and sanitize.
The pump can clean only two taps at a time, not enough pressure and flow.

100_3068.jpg

100_3069.jpg

100_3059.jpg

100_3056.jpg

100_3011.jpg

Latest posts

Back