Sour Mash Dry Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jds

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Safale US-05
Yeast Starter
None
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
Partial Wild / Lacto Ferment
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
30 Days ~ 65F
Tasting Notes
Mildly Roasty, Aggressively hopped for a stout, with some sourness and funk. A Quaff
[size=-1]BeerSmith Recipe Printout - BeerSmith Brewing Software, Recipes, Blog, Wiki and Discussion Forum[/size]
[size=+2]Recipe: Sour Mash Dry Stout[/size]
Brewer: Joe S
Asst Brewer:
Style: Dry Stout (Irish)
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications

Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.039 SG
Estimated Color: 24.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 35.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
Code:
Amount        Item                                      Type         % or IBU      
4.0 oz        Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM)                      Adjunct      2.86 %        
3 lbs 8.0 oz  Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM)          Grain        40.00 %       
2 lbs         Rye Malt (4.7 SRM)                        Grain        22.86 %       
1 lbs 8.0 oz  Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM)                  Grain        17.14 %       
1 lbs         Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM)                Grain        11.43 %       
8.0 oz        Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM)          Grain        5.71 %        
0.50 oz       Sterling [7.80 %]  (60 min)               Hops         14.3 IBU      
1.00 oz       Goldings, East Kent [6.20 %]  (30 min)    Hops         12.9 IBU      
1.00 oz       Williamette [5.40 %]  (10 min)            Hops         4.0 IBU       
1.00 oz       Goldings, East Kent [6.20 %]  (5 min)     Hops         4.2 IBU       
1.00 tbsp     PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60.0 min)         Misc                       
1 Pkgs        Safale US-05 (Fermentis #US-05)           Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 8.25 lb
Code:
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time     Name               Description                         Step Temp     
60 min        Mash In            Add 10.00 qt of water at 166.6 F    154.0 F       
5 min         Mash Out           Add 6.00 qt of water at 194.8 F     168.0 F
Notes:

The idea for this beer was to take the typical Dry Stout, but make it something other than a Guinness clone. The rye adds some spiciness and mild bready notes. More aggresively hopped than most dry stouts, but not overpowering.

The "Sour Mash" part of this recipe comes from mashing in 1/2 lb of the Maris Otter with about 3 cups of water at conversion temperatures, then letting the small mash sour over about three days. Once it was starting to bubble and smell sour, I drained it, sparged with another pint of water through a mesh strainer, and boiled for ten minutes before cooling and adding the soured wort to the primary fermenter. The sour portion of the mash smelled a lot like old sneakers while boiling, but fermented out to a nice extra "twang" of sour and a mild funky undertone not unlike a very mild Belgian.

At a fairly low ABV, this one is a quaffer for sure, with a huge, persistent head.

Sounds like a wonderful recipe! Did the lacto take it slightly beyond the sour mash used in making Guinness?

You'll NEVER mistake this for a Guinness! Where Guinness has a bitter flavor on the back of the palate, This has a sour flavor at the back of the tongue. This is a great beer, and Anyone that even raises an eyebrow to this recipe should get to planning their batch.

I hate to rave about a beer like this, but it's fuggen GoUd!

Sounds like a wonderful recipe! Did the lacto take it slightly beyond the sour mash used in making Guinness?

Guinness adds back (IIRC) about 3% by volume of soured beer. Souring 8 oz of two-row in this recipe is just under 6% of the grist. It's always hard to say with wild fermentation, since there's no guarantee it's just a lacto ferment, but it's a fairly subtle souring, IMO.

Kahuna: Sounds like maybe it's a good thing I gave you three deuces :). Hopefully, there will be some left by GABF-time.

Guinness employs a sour mash as well- just trying to place this one in some kind of context. Sounds like the sour note is a bit stronger in presence.

It is a good stout, but I think it could be better. The guys from Dry Dock Brewing (GABF 2009 small brewpub of the year) recommended more roasted barley, and I agree. Next time I brew this stout, it's getting 1.5 lb instead of a lb. This stout needs to be consumed young, or the roast character fades and leaves you with something like an off-kilter porter.

It's still pretty good, though.

Assuming the amount of time it's allowed to sour is the same, does it matter if the sour mash is added to the primary or the secondary? Also, for those that have done a sour mash for their stouts, what volume of sour mash do you recommend for a 5 gl brew?

Thanks,
Mike

jds, thanks for this recipe, I've ordered the grains and adjuncts for this and am looking forward to replying with my tasting notes.

I neglected to request BMW to separate out the Maris-Otter :( I ended up using 1 gallon of "soured" Guinness. I like the sourness I achieved, and hope to be able to produce a more exacting version of your recipe within the next few months. Thank you very much for putting this out there -- I like the flavor I achieved much more than my buddy's Xingu clone (Sweet v. Sour, Sour FTW!).

Back