Dry hopping tea with pellets?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knipknup

Bloody John Roberts
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have dry hopped by putting pellets in the secondary but was thinking of doing a hop tea for more affect. However, I don't have whole leaf, just pellets. Has anyone done a hop tea with pellets or is it even worth it?

What temp and how much water should I use to hop 1oz?

Thanks.

Extraction of hop aroma is a balance between temperature and time. The oils extracted and retained during dry hopping differ from the range extracted by heating. Also, the alcohol in the brew will extract components that using water won't. If you boil hops for a tea, the results will be more like adding the hops to the wort, than dry hopping. So, a five minute boil would be like increasing your aroma hop add.

The hop oil I have is made by steeping hops in 50% alcohol at room temperature. This is a commercial product, but I know the person who makes it. You could try it using a vodka with very little flavor.

And as always, post the results.

Did anyone ever soak their hops in Vodka at room temp? I have never dry hopped before and a few of my friends are looking at doing it. They are going to be using leaf hops and they are trying to figure out the best way to do it.

Hop Tea .... leaf Hops in a secondary.... or now hops in vodka?

I understand that with the hop tea you don't want to boil the hops because that will add more bitterness but what about a warm steap? I feel like that wouldn't be the same as just throwing them into the secondary but then again I have no experience with it.

Back