What's wrong with the Crankandstein 2S?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goybar

Reaction score
Hi All,

What is wrong with the Crankandstein 2S? I never see anyone recommend or mention it.

Are the 4" rollers going to take me a couple if minutes longer to mill the grain? Is that the issue?

I'm willing to spend the extra money for the 2A if there is a good reason.

Thanks

Chris

The main reason to go with the 2A is that it is more easily adjustable. Adjusting the gap can help your efficiency, or help you deal with odd grains and such. Full disclosure, I occasionally work at the Crankandstein factory, and I can tell you from first-hand experience that all of the mills, from the 2S to the commercial-grade monsters get top-notch attention from Don (Dr. Crankandstein).

+1 on matthewbridges comments

I have and love the 2S. I agree that the 2A is easier to adjust, but once adjusted most people just leave it. A bigger mill will be faster, but the 2S is plenty fast and pretty much the least expensive, high quality roller mill around. Realistically, it's all the mill you need. It may not be all the mill you want, but I'll let others chime in for that. :)

And since this has been resurrected...
Who uses a 3 roller mill, and is there really a substantial difference? What is the difference?

I use the 2A but I have to admit, I never adjust the mill. I get more consistent results by keeping the drill speed slow & constant than by fiddling with the gap.

Back