Belgian with possible off flavorHey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azingsheim

Reaction score
Hey gang, Made a Belgian Trappist ale and have a situation. 7 days primary, 4 weeks secondary. Trappist style, 6 lbs. pilsen lme, 1 lb. clear candi sugar, 3787 wyeast Trappist yeast. Bottled with standard amount of priming sugar and bottled 2 weeks ago saturday. opened 1 up just to check it out after 7 days ( i know early, but just checking) and the beer had a very wierd "boozy" harsh aftertaste to it.

I am by by no means an expert on Belgians and was looking for something new and tried it. The initial taste of the beer is ok, a little sweet with some banana and clove, but this aftertaste comes out of no where. Will this go away? Is this how this style shuld be? Thanks.

Yeah, that aftertaste should mellow with time. Belgians often take a WHILE to age right; I have a belgian golden heavy that I aged for three years before it hit its prime.

WOW. Guess I won't be drinking this horse for awile. Like I said it was good, just a little off with that floavor.

Could still be a little yeasty after only a week in the bottle. Belgian yeast tend to produce slightly larger amounts of higher order alcohols.

Only seven days in the primary? Seems a little fast to me. I'm sitting on a Belgian Golden Strong that's been in the primary for three weeks. How did you add the sugar; in the boil or a few days after pitching?

I'll secondary this for another two weeks before bottling and then letting it sit for at least two months before trying a bottle.

With 6lb LME and 1 lb candy sugar your OG was probably low to mid 1.050's right? That would probably put you in the realm of a belgian table beer. For the lower gravity belgian your current timeline seems about right. I did one with a similar recipe and at 6 weeks from brewing it was pretty good.

What temps did you ferment at? Fusel alcohols can occur when the temps are too high. From what I have read they may not age out very easily.

That being said seach Revvy "of patience and bottle conditioning". Give it a few weeks and try another, I think you will be pleased.

i did ferment well under the max temp. OG was about 1.053. My basement was about 68-70 degrees, but I kept it in the swamp cooler the whole time. I think I was just over reacting to it being a little green.

Back