My experience with the White Labs yeast bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerFun

Reaction score
It says to shake well, and so I did. When I unscrewed the cap the yeast flooded, not so much, but since I didn't sanitize the bottle I had to roll the bottle around some drought roll paper so it wouldn't drip.

Anyone else had it flooding because of the pressure buildup inside the bottle?

2133343709_b21fc40efb.jpg

the guy at my LHBS told me to shake the vail, then let it sit for 5 minutes so that wouldn't happen.

Guilty. I shook the crap out if it though. Now I just invert a few times just enough to get the yeast back into suspension.

I'm pretty sure they say to shake well and then open carefully :)

I shake it up to get all the yeast off of the sides, and then treat it like you would a shaken soda bottle. Open it just enough to let some gas escape, and keep doing that until the pressure has equalized.

Guilty. I shook the crap out if it though. Now I just invert a few times just enough to get the yeast back into suspension.

Did you store it in the refrigerator and let it stay in room temperature for 3-6 hours? I left mine for 6 hours in 71F, and I had a lump of yeast to shake out.

I'm pretty sure they say to shake well and then open carefully :)

I shake it up to get all the yeast off of the sides, and then treat it like you would a shaken soda bottle. Open it just enough to let some gas escape, and keep doing that until the pressure has equalized.

I think I opened it carefully yes. :)

Shake, then barely crack it open. LHBS warned me well, and I treat my vials like they are bottles of soda that were just dropped, but still need to be opened.
crack it fast but barely open enough to 'hiss' the pressure out, then you're golden.

Back