My keezer has been sitting a while...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leviticus

Reaction score
So, I brewed my first batch of beer in almost a year and a half the other weekend. My keezer has been sitting in the breakfast nook since we moved, partially pressurized, plugged in for part of the time. I'm calling the contents thereof a wash. Not terribly concerned about that.

However, I'm curious about recommended cleaners and processes to all but resurface the inside of the chest freezer, all surfaces of the kegs, lines, and faucets etc.

Call it a 'long overdue fall cleaning'.

I'm already considering starting with solid scrubbing with barkeepers friend, following with sodium metabisulfite on all surfaces, a full rinse, and then my usual pre-fill starsan treatment.

Anyone been through a similar process or have any suggestions?

I almost want to take the opportunity to tear down the whole keezer (I attached my collar to the base, not the lid; it's not exactly 'flat'; etc.) I now have a proper woodworking shop with which I could 'get it right'....

I guess I COULD just bottle this batch while I figure all this out.

Thoughts?

Meh - Just clean it like you would your fridge.

Also, your beer, in the keg, in a dirty fridge isn't going to go "Bad" as long as it's sealed and pressurized. Nothing can enter a positive pressure environment.

Yeah, i knew the 'positive pressure' argument was going to come up... I'll bleed each keg and see if they still have pressure...

Back