Ever dumped a batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trubadour

Reaction score
I haven't, but have seriously considered dumping a keg of blonde ale that I have. I have other kegs that are in line and I'm just not happy with this one. Some guests have said that they like it, but I hate even letting anyone try it b/c I know that it's just not right and I find myself force-drinking it. I'm thinking about sacrificing it to the sewer gods so I can move on.

Anyone else?

Yep. Dumped a Southern English Brown that wasn't right and getting ready to dump a sour Saison. I struggled through my second ever batch that was off (aka drank all of it), but from then on, my taste buds just know what's right and what's not.

I'm sure this will be followed but plenty of people saying never dump your beer, but my palate knows when it's not going to get any better. Colin Kominski from Downtown Joe's in Napa even came on the Session and said you need to know when to dump your beer, so I don't see it as a bad thing. Plus, I can use the fermentor space.

Know your beer, and let your palate be your guide.

Some are just beyond hope and dumping is the only recourse.

I've only watered the lawn with a single batch, thankfully. The very first Witbier I ever attempted was overdone with coriander and chamomile, and it just wasn't pleasant to drink. One gallon consumed, the rest was beyond repair.

We need to get past the Lies to Children and be honest with ourselves.

I have dumped several batches. Most recent was a Honey Ale that I wasn't patient with. I forced myself to drink ALOT of it to teach me a lesson and it is working and paying off. Last 3 since have been real nice and I do my tests and checks to be sure before I move to secondary or Keg.

Yep. One batch that I had some equipment issues with - mash was all over the place, then I screwed up the boil volume. It ended up being a 1.5% beer, that my beer tasting wenches told me tasted a little like man juice. That did it for me.

I made a batch of oatmeal stout that was mouth puckering astringent tasting. After I tasted it I replaced all my hoses and other rubber things & bleached the heck out of everything else. Since then I have not had a bad batch. That batch is still in the closet. It may be a year old now.

I made a batch of oatmeal stout that was mouth puckering astringent tasting. After I tasted it I replaced all my hoses and other rubber things & bleached the heck out of everything else. Since then I have not had a bad batch. That batch is still in the closet. It may be a year old now.

A year old, according to Revy it should be wonderful:ban:

sorry, couldn't resist. in answer to OP: A while back I bleached two batches back to back = putrid. I kept tasting, tasting, yech.

I haven't, but have seriously considered dumping a keg of blonde ale that I have. I have other kegs that are in line and I'm just not happy with this one. Some guests have said that they like it, but I hate even letting anyone try it b/c I know that it's just not right and I find myself force-drinking it. I'm thinking about sacrificing it to the sewer gods so I can move on.

Anyone else?

I dumped a 3 gallon batch of oxidized mead once; it was a hard lesson to learn, but I won't make those same mistakes again. Regards, GF.

I'll be dumping 1/2 a keg of this stout that I can only drink if I've overindulged in something else. I'm told I shouldnt, but no one can drink it cause its just terrible.

I'm thinking about taking Revvy's advice and holding out for a few months and then trying again, but problem is that it's already cold and I want that keezer space back. Probably not a good idea to take it out and put it in the closet (cold, warm, cold).

For me it's an issue of real estate. I need the shelf space and if something bottled/kegged doesn't live up to expectation it gets promptly dumped and I chalk it up to learning on how to better brew it next time.

I dumped 3 gallons of apfelwein. I had made the batch, tucked it in a dark corner of the basement, and left it alone -- for five months. The airlock dried out, the aceto got in, and it was apple cider vinegar by the time I kegged it.

I dumped it shortly thereafter. I kind of wish I'd kept some for cooking, now.

If someone tried it and liked it, show them how to use the bottle filler, and take the rest of it home...

Better to give it to someone that likes it, rather than dump it.

I have never dumped a batch. I brewed one that I didn't really care for, but my pipeline was otherwise empty, so i manned up and drank it.

Back