First Dunkelweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gjriehl

Reaction score
Hey Guys, my friend and I have made a couple batches of beer (but it was last year around this time). We ended up making an IPA which I drew up and a pumpkin ale which he drew up. We are going to get back into brewing and since were moving from Summer to Fall I figured I'd try my hand with a Dunkelweizen since I love them for this time of year. The darkness of it helps transition into fall while still getting some of the crispness of a wheat beer. This is what I've come up with as of now. What do you guys think? Updated the recipe a little bit and got it closer in line with BJCP Style Guidelines for Dunkelweizens.

Grain Bill
3 lbs Wheat Malt
1.5 lbs Munich Malt
1 lb Caramel Malt
.5 lb Vienna Malt
.75 lb Pale Chocolate Malt

Extract
3 lbs Wheat Dry Malt Extract

Hops
1 oz Fuggles (60 min)

Yeast
WLP300

Stats
1.061 OG/1.016 FG
20 SRM
Mash Efficiency - 65%
13.5 IBUs
6.0% ABV

I am by no means an expert, so I won't give suggestions. But I was looking for a recipe to cook up this weekend and this sounds interesting. What I might do to alter it for my own taste/experimentation:

Grain Bill
3 lbs Wheat Malt
1.5 lbs Munich Malt
.5 lb Vienna Malt
+ .25 Vienna Malt
.5 lb Caramel Malt
+ .5 lb Caramel Malt
.25 lb Pale Chocolate Malt

Extract
3 lbs Wheat Dry Malt Extract

Hops
1 oz Fuggles (60 min)
1 oz Fuggles (30 min)
1 oz Cascade (10 min)

Yeast
WLP300

:mug:

Kojones

Yea I didn't want to throw in too many hops since a dunkelweizen doesn't really have a big hop undertone or anything (I love hops but wanted it to be more towards the style but I'm not entirely sure on how much hops to throw in a dunkelweizen). I'd love to get other opinions/suggestions as well :)

Check above then, I updated my recipe

Looks good but I would prob not go with too much chocolate, I have made quite a few dunkleweizens and they have been some of my best beers, I actually dont use any chocolate at all, not to say this recipe wont turn out the way you like though.. Give it a try. I am generally an all grain brewer but with Hefe's and Dunkle's I use all extract with specialty grains. I usually use something like this

2 lb Dark DME
4 lb Wheat DME
0.25 lb CaraAroma
0.25 lb CaraMunich 60
0.5 lb CaraCrystal Wheat
0.5 lb Crystal 77

Usually get around 12 IBU with Hallertauer at 60 min and about 3 IBU with Cascade at 15 min

ferment at 66-68 with 3068

Back