How much yeast should I add before bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vp7799

Reaction score
I have an Imperial Stout which has been in a secondary for almost a year. I am getting ready to bottle. I have some dry yeast I was going to rehydrate and add to the bottling bucket with the priming sugar. Should I add all of it, part of it? Thanks for any advice.

There is probably enough yeast left to carb the beer, but it will be slow.

I add yeast to anything over 6 months. About a half pack of dry yeast to 7 gallons. I really don't think it matters if you add too much or too little; it will carb in the end.

About 1/5 to 1/4 of an 11g packet of a neutral ale yeast (US-05 or Notty) added with the priming sugar is plenty for carbing purposes.

Definitely add some fresh yeast though. After a year, the viability is less than 1%, and the alcohol content will be very stressful for the small amount of yeast left.

Thanks, I would like to force carb, but I don't have the gear. Plus I am giving it away to the people I was deployed with. A little welcome home gift. Even if it turns out bD, it is the best they have had in a year, plus free beer.

Back