Had to throw out a lot this year.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveM

Reaction score
It was such a shame - I gave away about a half a pound (all dry weights) and offered to anyone who seemed even vaguely interested to come over and harvest all they wanted.

I have about two pounds either in the freezer or in beers already, and my wife won't tolerate any more. So yesterday I had to cut them down and throw them out. It was tough to do - there was SO much still on the vine.

I need a better system for this!

Yikes, that's tough! Was it becoming overgrown or something? I'm sure you could have sold some thru CL or something. That's a bummer. If you were in STL, I surely would have taken them off your hands :) sorry to hear that. I'm sure it was pretty devastating to throw them out!

If you had a vacuum sealer, they don't have to be frozen, right? Just keep them in the dark, and use them/sell them within a year.

There's a certain amount of work involved in harvesting and drying them, and what I could sell them for on CL wouldn't justify the effort. I will push harder to give them away as "free for the harvesting" next year.

If I saw an ad on craigslist, I'd have just come by and picked up the bines when you cut them off and harvested them at my leisure at home. :D

That might be the answer - when I'm full up next year , I'll cut them down and bag them in a trash bag or three and just give 'em away to whoever claims them.

If you had a vacuum sealer, they don't have to be frozen, right? Just keep them in the dark, and use them/sell them within a year.

They will last much longer if frozen and using a vacuum sealer too.. PLUS if you use a vacuum sealer they end up normally taking up less space..:)

Back