any good IPA extracts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OperationBR

Reaction score
Hello all!

Well I'm pretty new to the brewing scene with only a couple batches in. But anywho have you guys seen any good IPA extract recipes out there?

Hello all!

Well I'm pretty new to the brewing scene with only a couple batches in. But anywho have you guys seen any good IPA extract recipes out there?

I don't like pimping my own posted recipes, but the DFH 60 minute close is pretty good! I really like the simcoe/amarillo combination. I just converted the Lakefront IPA clone to extract, but I've never done it as an extract. It should be very good, though.

I've made a Stone Ruination partial mash that was great. (Oh look - its Yooper's recipe!). Just checking my notes - I switched out some of the extract for 2 lb of corn sugar to get it to dry out (I find some extracts finish too high, and an IPA wants to be pretty dry). I'm actually just planning an all-grain re-brew.

Yoopers DFH 60 is great too, but I've only made the all-grain version.

I just made the Stone Ruination clone as well, but changed it up a bit.
Replaced the centennials for amarillo hops, then after 4 days in the secondary of dry hopping 2 oz of amarillo, I added another 2 oz of Citra that sat in there for 3 days. Also had a handfull of toasted oak chips in the secondary (total of 7 days in secondary). I steamed the oak chips before putting them into the secondary.

Came out amazing! Kegged it, waited a few days and now it's going fast. :drunk:

My basic extract IPA recipe is.

8 lbs LME
1 lb Crytsal 40
2 oz Magnum
2 oz Chinook
2 oz Cascade

I steep the crystal at 160 for 30 min
add 1/2 the LME
mix the Magnum & Chinook and add .5 oz of mixture every 10 min
add remaining LME at flameout

Ferment for 10-14 days at 64F
dry hop with the cascade for 1 week

prime and bottle, condition for 3 weeks at 70F
chill and enjoy

If you want to do a great Double IPA, go to MoreBeer.com and get the Pliny the Elder, as it's $20 off right now plus $5.75 for yeast. Normally its $69. Or the Blind Pig IPA.

Not to hijack this thread, but i have been looking at doing an IPA for my next brew. Reading through the ingrediants in a lot of the "kit" ipa recipes it seems most of them are very light on the hops. Much lighter than I would expect. Some only 3 oz.? That just doesn't seem like an ipa to me? I suppose it would depend on the hops, though, but still? Thinking I'm going to forego the "kit" brews and use suggested recipes from the veteran brewers here and pull my own ingrediants from the LHBS.

Has anyone here done the Rouge I2PA kit from Morebeer.com?

I did the Rogue I2PA as my first ever homebrew and am just enjoying them now. I think it's really good but it could be a little hoppier. But that's probably has to do more with my technique than with the kit. I tied the the hop bags tight around the hops as opposed to tying the bags at the top.

I'll post the recipe here when I get home if you are interested. There is like 12lbs of LME and no steeping grains.

8lbs extra pale LME
8oz 40L
8oz 60L
1 oz columbus 60 min
1 oz cascade 15 min
1 oz cascade flameout
1 oz amarillo dry hop 7 days
S-05 dry yeast.

This is very simple and has a nice not overpowering hop flavor and aroma.

I have 2 Morebeer IPA recipes.
Rogue's I2PA
12lbs LME
1oz Magnum 60min
1oz Cascade 30min
1oz Willamette 15min
1oz Amarillo
S05 or WLP001

Drake's IPA

9lbs. LME
.5lb Light DME
1.25lbs Crystal 15L
1lb Crystal 40L
1oz Cascade 70min
1oz Cascade 55min
.5oz Magnum 0min
1oz Columbus 0min
1oz Cascade dry hop last 10-14 days
1oz Columbus dry hop last 10-14 days
S05 or WLP001

I recently did the Chinook IPA kit from Northern Brewer and was pleasantly surprised by it. Nice hop aroma and mildly bitter, a great session beer. I have been thinking about doing some different variations on this theme (IPAs with only one hop variety) just to get a feel for what the different varieties bring to the table.

Fillmoreslim said:
I did the Rogue I2PA as my first ever homebrew and am just enjoying them now. I think it's really good but it could be a little hoppier. But that's probably has to do more with my technique than with the kit. I tied the the hop bags tight around the hops as opposed to tying the bags at the top.

I'll post the recipe here when I get home if you are interested. There is like 12lbs of LME and no steeping grains.

Nice! I'm currently doing the kit as my first home brew.. How long did you ferment it in the primary before bottling? I just added the dry hops last night after two weeks.. So my plan is to dry hop it for 10 days then bottle next saturday.. What was your FG? I haven't seen much posts about this brew.. So I feel like I'm flying blind

I've done the extract Winter IPA kit from AHS..It came out really good..not an overpowering hop presence but you can tell its there. Its not a golden IPA but more of an amber color. Its going quick and will be part of my rotation.

Nice! I'm currently doing the kit as my first home brew.. How long did you ferment it in the primary before bottling? I just added the dry hops last night after two weeks.. So my plan is to dry hop it for 10 days then bottle next saturday.. What was your FG? I haven't seen much posts about this brew.. So I feel like I'm flying blind

Ferment until you get the same SG reading for two days in a row w/one day between readings. Sounds like you are almost there. Go slow. Don't rush anything.

I did 3 weeks total in the primary before bottling, and dry hopped the last week. My OG was low (1.069, supposed to be 1.076-80), but it might have had to do with how I took the reading. I used the wine thief to take the sample from the boil kettle instead the fermenter. I was thinking the wort may have settled out in the kettle with a higher gravity at the bottom. My sample was from the top.

My other theory is that since I didn't get a full rolling boil going, I didn't get as much evaporation, leaving the wort somewhat diluted.

The FG was 1.019 which left me with an ABV of 6.55% (assuming my OG reading was accurate).

I did 3 weeks total in the primary before bottling, and dry hopped the last week. My OG was low (1.069, supposed to be 1.076-80), but it might have had to do with how I took the reading. I used the wine thief to take the sample from the boil kettle instead the fermenter. I was thinking the wort may have settled out in the kettle with a higher gravity at the bottom. My sample was from the top.

My other theory is that since I didn't get a full rolling boil going, I didn't get as much evaporation, leaving the wort somewhat diluted.

The FG was 1.019 which left me with an ABV of 6.55% (assuming my OG reading was accurate).

Awesome.. yeah I unfortunately wasn't able to measure the OG.. the hydrometer that arrived was broken.. and the ones they sell out in town here just gives you a final alcohol reading. But yeah.. it was fermenting vigorously for about two weeks and finally tapered off I gave it a few days then dry hopped it.. it looks like there is still some trub floating around on the top that hasn't settled down yet.. I plan to bottle next weekend since I have a work trip to the states at the end of the month. What kind of yeast did you use?

I'll definitely take some readings and make sure I have solid SG before I move on.

Awesome.. yeah I unfortunately wasn't able to measure the OG.. the hydrometer that arrived was broken.. and the ones they sell out in town here just gives you a final alcohol reading. But yeah.. it was fermenting vigorously for about two weeks and finally tapered off I gave it a few days then dry hopped it.. it looks like there is still some trub floating around on the top that hasn't settled down yet.. I plan to bottle next weekend since I have a work trip to the states at the end of the month. What kind of yeast did you use?

I'll definitely take some readings and make sure I have solid SG before I move on.

I used WLP001 (white labs California ale yeast) without a starter, which according to what I have read is not enough yeast. I didn't even shake the vial before adding it to the fermenter as it says I am supposed to do.

I pretty much did everything wrong on this brew and it still turned out well. I guess that's why they are always saying on here, Relax, Don't Worry, Have A Home Brew.

I did have hop material floating on the top of my fermenter at bottling time. In order to strain that out without aerating the wort, I used a technique I found on here. I lined the bottling bucket with a 24"x24" nylon mesh bag and then racked into the bucket. That kept all the hops and trub inside the bucket and out of my beer.

If you are coming to the west coast, drink some Pliny the Elder when you are here. :mug:

If you want to do a great Double IPA, go to MoreBeer.com and get the Pliny the Elder, as it's $20 off right now plus $5.75 for yeast. Normally its $69. Or the Blind Pig IPA.

Thanks for the tip! I picked up a kit just now and got free shipping as well. Seems like a great deal. That will be my third batch.

Erik

Just did the Pliny tonight. What a steal! 13oz of hops, plus other items that get thrown in. 9lbs of LME and a large amount of DME as well (cant remember. Received a keg from my cousin who is a brewer at Stone and its having its way with me). 1 lb of corn sugar gets thrown in for the last 10 minutes. Instructions arent the easiest to follow, so read through before.

Also made a Marionberry Porter tonight. Cant wait to see how that turns out. Mashed 3 lbs of marionberries with 1 lb of raspberries.

Might make a Marionberry IPA one of these days.

Fillmoreslim said:
I used WLP001 (white labs California ale yeast) without a starter, which according to what I have read is not enough yeast. I didn't even shake the vial before adding it to the fermenter as it says I am supposed to do.

I pretty much did everything wrong on this brew and it still turned out well. I guess that's why they are always saying on here, Relax, Don't Worry, Have A Home Brew.

I did have hop material floating on the top of my fermenter at bottling time. In order to strain that out without aerating the wort, used a technique I found on here. I lined the bottling bucket with a 24"x24" nylon mesh bag and then racked into the bucket. That kept all the hops and trub inside the bucket and out of my beer.

If you are coming to the west coast, drink some Pliny the Elder when you are here. :mug:

I'm using the same yeast.. I did shake it, but it took me like five hours to cool the wort to around 80ish so I definitely pitched it when it was warm. I like the mesh bag idea I might have to try it.. As for the pliny I'll be in Texas this time around but I have a work trip out west in July so I'll definitely give it a try!

Back