Moylan's Wheat Berry Clone.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayR

Reaction score
Hi,

I've been lurking for a while (mainly mid brew emergency searching) and finally need to post.

I'm am an All Grain Homebrewer in New Zealand and have a buddy from San Francisco specifically the Lucas Valley who wants to try making a beloved beer he remembers fondly from home called "Moylan's Wheat Berry". It was I think a seasonal beer they stopped making around 2001.

I have no idea where to start having never tried it nor a beer similar. If any one remembers this beer I would greatly appreciate help constructing a clone.

He believes it was finished with Boysenberry. But it is not super strong. Just giving a slight sweetness and a nice "tang"

Checking their website they make a Moylan's Hefe Weiss so I suspect it to have been based on that? If anyone can help with that as a base I would really appreciate it. My plan is to split it into a couple of fermentors and try different ratios of fruit.

I found this recipe which I am considering using as a base if I have no luck. The advice is 1 pound Berry to 1 gallon Wort. If anyone Remembers this beer would you think this would make a good base?
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f70/am...e-best-show-2011-hbt-bjcp-competition-238940/

Disclaimer:
I have searched through the forum and not found a clone for this beer. I have found others for that Brewery though.

I was unsure if I should post this under brewery or recipes. But I saw other clone threads under commercial so have chosen here. If this is incorrect Please just ask me to move it and not flame. I am not really interested in opinions about whether or not this beer is a waste of time or not worth homebrewing because it's not a worthy beeras I have seen some threads descend into this. As I have never tried it you may very well be right, but I am not here to be abused.:mug:

Thanks a Bunch
Jay

I think you're on the right track. I live nearby Moylan's, but have never seen or heard of that beer. But I think if you can nail the basic elements of what your buddy like about the beer he will be more than happy. Sometimes the clones we make end up being better than what we set out to clone.

Thanks for the reply, Can you give any info on the basics of the Moylan's Hefe Weiss?

Back