Any Kauai water report laying around?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nice man brewing on kauai. I grew up in kilauea and still have a house there thats awesome that you are brewing over there we are in dire need of an excellant micro brewery over there.

Funny thing. I just called the water lab for the island and the chemist's are out for the day but the microbiologist is there. She took down some notes of all the stuff i wanted tested and said "whats all this for anyway?" I told her for beer and she said "oh! all the chemist's here are brewers, so they already have done testing before and can just tell you how to treat the water for certain styles" and then i fainted.

Still waiting, this is what i heard...

"
We have some of this information, let me look at my records and see what is available. I will email again as soon as I have this compiled."

Island time works a little slower.

This is what i asked for...

pH:
Sodium:
Potassium:
Calcium:
Magnesium:
Total Hardness (CaCO3):
Nitrate:
Sulfate (SO4-S):
Chloride:
Carbonate:
Bicarbonate:
Total Alkalinity:

Ok, email's went through today, heres the report from the chemist, he mentions nothing about brewing, im not sure what happened there...

Rajanatha-

The water at your location is from 5 different sources in a constantly varying ratio. Typically, we analyze the water at the source and not in the distribution system, so this is my best estimate of your water quality at the monastery.

pH: 7.8
Sodium: 10-20 ppm
Total Hardness (CaCO3): 60-100 ppm
Nitrate: 0-0.5 ppm
Sulfate (SO4-S): 0 ppm
Chloride: 20-40 ppm

We do not have information on the other components, and unfortunately we cannot offer analytical services for sale. If you are interested in further analysis of your water, I would recommend that you contact one of the Oahu environmental labs, such as AECOS. The other tests would be fairly inexpensive. If you have any more questions, please feel free to contact me by email or at the number below.

I'm curious how the brewers in that lab knew what to add when they don't have the alkalinity for the water? I suppose they could estimate an alkalinity that would balance the ions, but you'd think they would want to know actual numbers.

See, the thing is, the whole brewer thing was missed. There is something they didnt want to talk about, they wanted to keep it all business or something

I think i only need to adjust for pales and ambers, everything else comes out great.

I need to look you up the next time I'm out there!
I used to live in Kilauea, worked at the Princeville before it was remodeled as the St. Regis.

Back