Pumpkin Ale - slightly carbonated in primary??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimL

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
brewed a pumpkin ale 16 days ago. I grabbed a sample for the hydrometer, which was 1.010, which is about right where it should finish. In tasting it, I found it was slightly carbonated. If I swirled the jar, it fizzed up a little, and you can see the bubbles moving to the top. It tastes very nice, and smells like pumpkin pie, which are both good things.

However, the carbonation is really unexpected. I was planning on putting some dissolved gelatin in the primary to clear up the beer, then cold crashing in primary as well. I won't be using the yeast again, so I'm not concerned about that.

Should I be concerned about the carbonation while it's still in primary? OG was 1.053. This is my first sample since it went into primary, so I guess I could leave it for another few days, but it's been 16 days, I think that it's done, gravity wise. I used US-05 yeast, pumpkin was in the mash.

Here's a pic:

carbedpumpkin.jpg

What do you guys think?

There will be some residual carbonation from the fermentation process even though it was air locked and not under pressure. It isn't much, usually like .5 volumes or so, but it can be noticeable.

Anyways, no reason to be concerned with it. I wouldn't clear with gelatin either but that's just my preference. It will clear a bit with proper conditioning anyways.

You'll find a number of times depending on the beer in question that the hydro sample will have a little carbonation to it, that's to be expected since the yeast let out alcohol and carbon dioxide. Nothing to be concerned about at all. I also wouldn't clear it... it's a pumpkin ale. Most of the ones I drink are hazy. Some are clear too of course but most of the ones I like are hazy so I couldn't care about clarity. That's just my opinion though.

Rev.

My pumpkin ale is generally hazy also. They usually finish fairly dry too.

If you are worried about it not being quite finished - are you using a carboy? - you could let it sit longer. If you are using buckets and are worried about oxidation - bottle it and place the bottles in a Rubbermaid tub.

My pumpkin ale is generally hazy also. They usually finish fairly dry too.

Not to go off top but are you intending them to be dry? I mash high at 156 for my pumpkins and they come out nice and sweet, but not too sweet - just right IMO to balance what dryness comes from the spices. If you're not intending them dry give a higher mash temp a try.

Rev.

There's always a level of co2 present in fermentation. It's a natural byproduct of it. In wine it's usually "degassed" out, but in beer you leave it alone. Technically, the beer's not carbonated, the co2 isn't lock into solution by being trapped in a keg or bottle, there is just gas in there with the beer.

But it's nothing to concern yourself with.

Not to go off top but are you intending them to be dry? I mash high at 156 for my pumpkins and they come out nice and sweet, but not too sweet - just right IMO to balance what dryness comes from the spices. If you're not intending them dry give a higher mash temp a try.

Rev.

Hadn't thought about it. I usually try to get them -thin- because I like to share and assumed hotter mash temps would also add body besides sweetness. People seem to like them enough.

I brew heavier, hoppier stuff for my own tastes.

Thanks for the replies, good to know it's ok.

Trying the gelatin, there will be many BMC drinkers trying this, so it's a good chance to try gelatin.

Back