Used 2 packs of bad yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willtest

Reaction score
Hi,
So I made some beer(Fat Tire Ale) on Sunday and added to fermentation bucket. As of yesterday there was still no signs of fermentation. I talked to a buddy of mine and pitched another pack of yeast - Nottingham.
Just this morning I read on this forum about bad batches of Notty. So I go downstairs and check the pak. Both packs that I put in had an expiration date of 2009.
My question is can I buy some fresh yeast and pitch a third time or am I just screwed?

Thanks,
Will

Give the bucket a couple shakes... wait 24 more hours. If still nothing... buy a fresh pack of yeast.

Side note, what was your OG?

Edit: When did you pitch the 2nd pack of yeast?

And I just realized you said the packs had an expiration date of 2009... I was thinking created on date or something, haha.

FYIW, the Notty recall was for Lot #1081140118V with an exp. in 2011 or something. So I don't think you had recalled yeast... just old yeast :)

Definitely give it another 24 hours from time you pitched the second pack... maybe 48 hours if you have patience :)

So there is absolutely zero activity in the airlock?

Yeah no activity in the airlock. I will take reading when I get home this evening

Is there much chance that although the expiration date expired that the yeast may still be good? Maybe it's taking awhile to get started?

Latest posts

Back