Paw paw wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vikings

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with this? I have access to tons of paw paws in the coming weeks, but don't know if they'll make good wine. Jack Keller has a recipe that says is "life changing," but he says that a lot! I'll bist his recipe below and scale to 5 gallons.

For those of you that don't know, a paw paw is a wild fruit that resembles what would happen if a bandanna, avacodo, and kiwi had a baby. :-D

2-3 lbs ripe pawpaws
2 lbs granulated sugar
7 pts water
1-1/2 tsp citric acid
1 tsp pectic enzyme
1/2 tsp grape tannin
1 tsp yeast nutrient
wine yeast

Hmmm. Man I miss paw paws. It is that time of year ain't it?

I have never made paw paw wine, but I generally like 4 lbs of fruit per gallon. Adjust sugar to 1.090 and your good bro. Camden tabs for 12 hours and pectin for 24 before pitching yeast.

It's white, so use a good easy yeast, Lalvin d47 or vintners harvest cy17 are my favorites. There are plenty of others though.

If you remember, I'd love a bottle. Be happy to trade with you too. My family home had a paw paw tree in it and plenty more in the woods. They were a favorite of mine as a kid.

Cheers

We have trees all over here. (SW Ohio) there is a frisbee golf park that has a huge grove that no one knows about. I can only eat one fruit at a time, but they make great bread. As in banana bread.

I started this wine today. I've been collecting paw paws for several weeks, deskinning them, and freezing them. I left the seeds in with the pulp, but IMF going to remove the pulp fairly early in the fermentation. I can't even explain how labor intensive it would be to remove all of the seeds from the 20 or so lbs of meat. I read a couple of reports from other sites that left the seeds in with no ill effects, and I'll make sure to update as this progresses.

Today I sulfated and added pectic enzyme. Tomorrow night I'll add nutrient and get a gravity reading, then add sugar accordingly and pitch yeast. I'm aiming for 12% ABV so I'll pitch close to 1.090, and I'll be using 71B because a lot of people recommended it for banana and that's the closest to paw paw I know of.

Where are you guys from? I live near Athens and we have them all over the place. I recently just went to the paw paw fest actually. It's a weird fruit. Would also like to trade for the wine, if willing.

How did your paw paw wine progress? I found a huge patch where I live in North Carolina and can't stop thinking about making some paw paw wine and melomel this fall.

It was a miserable failure. The wine was infected with something that smelled like road kill vomit. I let it age until this spring with no improvement and threw the entire carboy away. It started well and tasted great at 2 weeks. I'm going to try again next season but I'm going to blanche them and give them a short soak in starsan. The wine had a beautiful blush color and great body prior to its decent into horribleness.

Back